Bridging static generics with runtime polymorphism

Hi!

In a recent project i've relied somewhat heavily on generics. Now I want to be able to configure the runtime by reading json files. However, I can't quite settle on a clean way to parse json files and dynamically dispatching the data structures.

Here is a quick - sorry for the very foolish - example: Playground

Now my questions are:

• What are the idiomatic ways in general to model the "interface" between statically dispatched types and runtime polymorphism? Ideally I'd like the parsing layer to be quite thin.
  • How would this be solved using serde? The erased-serde - crates.io looks promising!

Finally, I found it hard to express these problems (both here and whilst searching the webs) and so I didn't find any good reading sources on this, even though I'm very happy with Rust literature in general.

Thanks a lot!

One way would be to implement a trait (in your example the Algorithm and SearchSpace traits) on the corresponding dyn boxes (Box<dyn Algorithm> and Box<dyn SearchSpace> respectively in your example) and then pass in these dyn boxes as the generic arguments. If you will only ever use it dynamically, I'd switch entirely to this box-based runtime polymorphism system. The downside here is that it will be slightly slower due to dynamic dispatch overhead, but it's likely fine unless function call overhead is a large part of your algorithm's CPU time. It's also a bit messy.

The main alterantive is to have a copy of your generic struct's member functions instantiated somewhere in the binary for each possible combination of types, however as far as I know there's no way to do this automatically. You'd need something like a match of each possible combination that trampolines to the appropriatea generic, e.g.

match types{
  (Algorithms::AlgorithmA, Spaes::SpaceB) => MyStruct<AlgorithmA, SpaceB>::do_something(),
  //… and so on for each combination that you support
}

A macro might help generate this type of match expression.

Got it. Thank you very much!

I think I will go for the trampoline method but without macros. Its the way I'd chosen for templated functions in C++ aswell i think.

Do you by chance know any repos that demonstrates such methods well?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.