Basic-Topic-String-and-string-Slice

There are 2 types of strings in Rust namely , String (mutable) and string slice "str".

Why I need to annotate the type as reference when I use string slice .

For example I need to use like

let str1 : &str = "Chennai" ;

Why not like

let str1: str = "Chennai"

When I use without reference, the rust compiler says that

error[E0308]: mismatched types
 --> string1.rs:4:22
  |
4 |     let str1:  str = "Chennai";
  |                ---   ^^^^^^^^^ expected `str`, found `&str`
  |                |
  |                expected due to this

error[E0277]: the size for values of type `str` cannot be known at compilation time

My question is the compiler knows the size of string and in this case "Chennai" it is 7 characters
and it is English and hence the size can be known.

If is simple str instead of &str , the consistency is there..

What is the reason ?.

Thanks,
S.Gopinath

str is a dynamically sized type, so it must be behind a reference. You can read more about this here: Exotically Sized Types - The Rustonomicon

Similarly to a &[u8] which can be a view of Vec<u8> , String is an str that is allocated on the heap. &str can be a view of a String.

strs can be mutable as well:

let mut s = String::from("abc");
let x: &mut str = s.as_mut_str();
x.make_ascii_uppercase();
dbg!(x);
1 Like

I'd add that I think it's truer to say there is one type of string in Rust: a str.

[edited for accuracy: thanks trentj!]

A str is some UTF-8 bytes.

A reference to a str (&str) is a pointer to a str plus a length. Knowing the length is obviously important if you actually want to use the pointer.

A String is simply one way (albeit the main way) of managing dynamic memory for a str. It's an &str plus the capacity of a memory buffer that the &str can grow into. So in total it's a pointer to a str, the length of the str and the total capacity of the String's buffer.

The String can also relocate its buffer to increase its capacity.

4 Likes
4 Likes

That's misleading, IMO. There's nothing pointery about a bare str, it's just the type of the thing that &str and String both point to. I'd rather just say "A str is some UTF-8 bytes".

Other pointer types like Rc, Arc and Box can also point to str, just like they point to sized types.

1 Like

Thanks, that's a good point. I've edited my post to try to be more accurate.

See also:

I think some of the Rust concepts to be well explained. I would like to understand
the stuff and use it. I would like to have consistent abstraction.

In a fully consistent way, str is zero or more bytes of data which is a valid UTF8 string. It has a length, but that length is not stored inside it. Rather, it is "unsized" because the length is fully runtime-dependent and located elsewhere. You cannot store a str by itself because it does not have a constant size, and it does not store its own size.

When you put something unsized behind a reference or pointer, that reference becomes "fat" and stores the size. &str is, in memory, (ptr, size). ptr points to the start of the str, and size is how many bytes it is. Box<str> is exactly the same layout, except it owns the memory rather than borrowing from it.

I view String as something similar, but different. String also represents zero or more bytes of data which are valid UTF8, but it does not contain a str, and str does not contain a String. Instead, String allows creating an &str referring to itself, or to part of itself. String is owned: if you have one, you can modify it, and you can drop it. The difference between String and Box<str> is that you can change the length of a String after creating it, and str's length is fixed upon creation.

Box<str> is rarely used, but it is an important part of the story to understand exactly what str and String are.

Does that make sense as a consistent abstraction representing both of these things?

3 Likes

Thanks. Based on your inputs and others and other materials,

I understand that string slice (str) has 2 components namely pointer to a "stream of bytes" (which are valid UTF encoding) and size (or length).

It is also mysterious that it can only be referenced not directly owned. that is one cannot have

let s1 : str  = "Hello";

It implements Copy trait.

String is more natural. I.e I can have

let s1 : String  = String::from("Hello");

It is always implemented using heap storage. No Copy trait implemented. The level of
abstraction from programmers perspective is consistent.

When to use &str and String.

For smaller fixed "strings" &str could be more useful as its fast but more importantly copy trait
will make programmers friendly. Example, fixed user messages (example messages) etc.

For large sized strings which are to be muted, String type is useful.

Thanks,
.S.Gopinath

It is! It's because str is not Sized. I would consider the topic of Sized "advanced rust", but if you want, here's a book chapter on it: Advanced Types - The Rust Programming Language

Be careful here. &str is Copy, but str itself is not :slight_smile:

It's worth noting that &ANYTHING is always copy, no matter what ANYTHING is. You can always copy references. &String is copy, for that matter.

It's worth noting that &str is extremely useful for large strings too - mainly because it can be passed around for free, and you can take slices for free. For instance, when parsing large documents, a common approach is to allocate the whole document as a String, immediate make an &str from it, and then inside the parser just make new &str views into that string. This way you don't have to allocate at all when parsing, you just make new views into the existing data.

Similarly, if you ever need to write to or create a new string at runtime, no matter what size, you need String. I think the difference is more what you want to do with the string, not what size it is. How does that seem?

In practice, I don't think any rust programmers start out with a full understanding of &str and String. It's something that you get used to over time, as you read rust code, and write more of it. It's definitely worth trying to understand fully, but it's also possible to gloss over the full technicalities until you understand more of rust in general, if you want.

1 Like

Oh .. nice to see your comments. Yes I'm relatively a beginner. I'm going to post here about references here shortly and request you to comment on it.

2 Likes

Another way to look at this is that str is just a type alias for [u8]. There are guarantees its provides about its contents being valid UTF8, but that is only because there are special methods for creating str - those guarantees aren't particularly important for your question here.

Following from that, [u8] is a dynamically-sized array. Rust doesn't let you used dynamically-sized things (whatever those things may be) on the stack. I don't know the official reasons behind that decision, but stack overflows are one really good reason to disallow dynamically sized data on the stack.

The only mainstream language I know with dynamic stack allocation is C. Even C++ doesn't have it.

1 Like

Is there any way, I could backup the conversation here for my own reference other than
copy and paste in my vim editor ?

I've had success in the past using my browser's "save webpage" feature. In Firefox this is triggered by Ctrl+s on a webpage, and will allow you to save a local copy of the HTML and a directory with all the other needed files.

Besides that, I'm not sure. Doing a select-all, copy and paste into vim seems like a good idea. I get pretty readable text doing that.

It's worth noting that this forum has never deleted posts, and will run for the imagineable future. As long as it keeps being a place for the rust community, you'll always be able to access this conversation from the same URL.

FWIW, it was never "decided" that we shouldn't support unsized values on the stack. In fact, an RFC for allowing this was even accepted at some point, but it's in the big pile of unimplemented RFCs:

Although if the comments there are any indication, all of the "unresolved questions" together are easily enough material for an RFC of their own. Likely not something anyone will be able to push through until a lot of far higher priority projects settle down.

If you click on the … under a post, you will see a flag icon appear that lets you bookmark the post.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.