Are there any compilation time benchmarks of Rust vs. G++ vs. Clang++?

I understand that the conventional wisdom is that Rust compilation times from scratch are in the same ballpark as those of C++. (example of wisdom). But has anybody done any benchmarking to give this claim more evidence (and I have no idea how one should compare compilation times of different languages) ?

Quick measurements on the recent benchmark “show” that rustc is about twice as slow as clang/gcc

% git clone https://github.com/ncm/nytm-spelling-bee.git    
% cd nytm-spelling-bee/ 

% time make puzzlegen-cc
g++ -g3 -O3  -std=c++14 -Wall -march=corei7 puzzlegen.cc -o puzzlegen-cc
make puzzlegen-cc  1.22s user 0.09s system 91% cpu 1.435 total

% time make puzzlegen-rs
rustc -C debuginfo=2 -C opt-level=3 -C target-cpu=corei7 puzzlegen.rs -o puzzlegen-rs
make puzzlegen-rs  2.59s user 0.06s system 99% cpu 2.673 total

% sed -i 's/g++/clang++/g' Makefile
% make clean
rm -f puzzlegen-cc.o puzzlegen-rs.a puzzlegen-cc puzzlegen-rs cc.bench rs.bench all.bench *.bench.out

% time make puzzlegen-cc
clang++ -g3 -O3  -std=c++14 -Wall -march=corei7 puzzlegen.cc -o puzzlegen-cc
make puzzlegen-cc  1.32s user 0.04s system 94% cpu 1.445 total

If you write Rust code full of iterators, then it compiles much slower than equivalent C++ code that uses only for loops. So it’s not easy to compare compilation times between the two languages.

On the other hand, I’d say the code is pretty rustic, so it’s a pay-for-what-you-get scenario – iterators are awesome, but you pay for them in terms of compile time.

One and a half seconds per iteration seems a very small price to pay for me, considering I’ll be writing correct Rust code in far less iterations than correct C code.

An interesting addition would be to add a rustc -Z no-trans entry to your benchmark, because this is what Rustaceans usually do to check if their code compiles (alternatively cargo check). This is usually much faster and allows for pretty fast iteration to something that compiles.

Implementation notes: using the .bytes() iterator is suboptimal. It would be far more efficient to call .fill_buf() repeatedly and process the data in the slice it returns.

(Iterators are not a silver bullet, they are not all the same thing, in fact they are vastly different things under the same trait umbrella.)

Using slices when you can is the path to success :smile:.

Here you are:

% time make puzzlegen-rs                                                                                                                  
rustc -C debuginfo=2 -C opt-level=3 -C target-cpu=corei7 -Z no-trans puzzlegen.rs -o puzzlegen-rs
make puzzlegen-rs  0.22s user 0.02s system 95% cpu 0.253 total

However, I’m interested in full compilation from scratch times.

I think you can’t meaningfully compare Rust and C++ compile iteration speed until Rust has a more fine grained incremental compilation :slight_smile:

But I do think that it is already possible to compare general compilation speeds of Rust and C++, I just haven’t seen any benchmarks yet (but I have seen claims that they are about the same).

You probably want to file an issue/PR to the repository with a benchmark.

I think it’s pretty clear from experience that compile times in Rust are much slower, especially on bigger codebases.
Compiling something like racer takes way longer than a big project we have at work written in C++/Qt.

From what I understood, most of the time goes on compiler analysis of the code…

Yes compilation times are slower with Rust. That being said, Clang and esp GCC has been here for quite a while and had time to improve this over the years. I’m really not that worried about this and think it will improve over time.

The compilers have been there for a long time and had time to improve but the issue is not in the tools but in the C++ standard and the limitations that come with legacy.
When modules will come in C++17 it will compile A Lot faster.

But of course I would expect Rust to also get faster compilation with time…

Now to think about it, C++ has worse compilation times in reality.
What we were comparing is actually Rust’s alternative: rustc -Z no-trans

In reality, because it’s C++, most companies also run static code checkers…

Even if you do run static code checkers this is usually part of CI or something like that and doesn’t directly affect all programmers directly while the speed of the compiler affect everyone.

Ye, true. Although where I work it’s the job of the developer to run the static code checker and unit tests + coverage(coverage actually takes the most time), they should not fail on the CI part, which I don’t agree with because the build machine is considerable more capable and CI is intended for this, but, meh, everyone with their own weird rules…

Yeah so we have static code checking + auto-tests running on CI. The whole idea of CI is to catch errors and report back… but that is derailing from the topic a bit :slight_smile:

Looks like if I want a benchmark, I have to do it myself :wink: Luckily I have a peculiar hobby of writing a ray tracer in any language I learn.

So

cppraytracer
rustraytracer

I believe that at this point both programs are pretty similar: 1200 lines of code, same features, same run time no external dependencies.

-> % rustc --version
rustc 1.8.0-nightly (fae516277 2016-02-13)

-> % clang++ --version                                            
Ubuntu clang version 3.6.2-1 (tags/RELEASE_362/final) (based on LLVM 3.6.2)
Target: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix

Full dev build

-> % time cargo build
   Compiling rustraytracer v0.1.0 (file:///home/user/trash/rustraytracer)
cargo build
2.91s user 0.15s system 99% cpu 3.065 total

-> % time clang++ -std=c++14 -O0 -g -Wall -Wextra **/*.cpp -I ./src -o ray
clang++ -std=c++14 -O0 -g -Wall -Wextra **/*.cpp -I ./src -o ray
8.48s user 0.48s system 97% cpu 9.187 total

Full release build

-> % time cargo build --release
   Compiling rustraytracer v0.1.0 (file:///home/user/trash/rustraytracer)
cargo build --release
5.97s user 0.15s system 99% cpu 6.128 total

-> % time clang++ -std=c++14 -O3 -flto -Wall -Wextra **/*.cpp -I ./src -o ray -B /usr/lib/gold-ld
clang++ -std=c++14 -O3 -flto -Wall -Wextra **/*.cpp -I ./src -o ray -B
9.79s user 0.28s system 97% cpu 10.283 total

UPDATE: see the latter post about the impact of -flto on compile time.

Runtime :slight_smile:

-> % time ./target/release/rustraytracer
./target/release/rustraytracer
10.50s user 0.01s system 100% cpu 10.514 total

-> % time ./ray > out.ppm
time: 13
./ray > out.ppm
12.36s user 0.01s system 99% cpu 12.377 total

Teapots :slight_smile:

When I tried a similar thing, Rustc came out about twice as fast as Clang, and the win over GCC and MSVC was even greater. That was almost two years ago though, perhaps I should measure again with more recent compilers.

I’ve tried to compile your Rust raytracer (with Rustc 1.8.0-nightly) and I’ve hit this problem:

…cargo\registry\src\github.com-48ad6e4054423464\regex-0.1.41\src\prefix.rs:46:12: 46:24 erro
r: private type in public interface [E0446]
…cargo\registry\src\github.com-48ad6e4054423464\regex-0.1.41\src\prefix.rs:46 Single(Sin
gleSearch),
^~~

I have solved it using the latest regex version (regex = "0.1.56"), but then I've found another problem:

...\.cargo\registry\src\github.com-48ad6e4054423464\aho-corasick-0.5.0\src\autiter.rs:4:22: 4:29
 error: unresolved import `memchr::memchr2`. There is no `memchr2` in `memchr`. Did you mean to use `memchr`?

This problem can probably be solved if regex uses aho-corasick = "0.5.1", because it uses memchr = "0.1", but memchr = "0.1.9" probably has already fixed the problem.

I am not a Cargo expert, how do I say Cargo to compile your raytracer using the latest version of regex but using the new version of aho-corasick? :-)

-----------------

**Edit**: I've tried to compile again the Rust raytracer, and now someone has fixed something, and it compiles. I see only a little warning:

libs\geom\src\shape\bound_box.rs:55:21: 55:27 warning: unnecessary parentheses around `for` head expression, #[warn(unused_parens)] on by default
libs\geom\src\shape\bound_box.rs:55         for axis in (0..3) {

Compiling with --release I get:

Start rendering...

Preprocess:  0.41s
    Rendering:   1.04s
    Filtering:   0.40s

Total: 2.01 seconds

If I compile the Rust code a little more aggressively, with O3, native CPU and lto, I get:

Start rendering...

Preprocess:  0.42s
    Rendering:   0.96s
    Filtering:   0.32s

Total: 1.83 seconds

So perhaps the performance difference you saw between the Rust and C++ code can be removed with better compilation switches.

Can you post your Cargo.toml?

It is:

[package]
name = "rustraytracer"
version = "0.1.0"
authors = ["Aleksey Kladov <aleksey.kladov@gmail.com>"]
license = "MIT"

[dependencies]
rand = "0.3"
regex = "0.1.56"
rustc-serialize = "0.3"
time = "0.1"
simple_parallel = "0.3"

[dependencies.geom]
path = "libs/geom"

[dependencies.utils]
path = "libs/utils"

[profile.release]
debug = true

(I have only updated the specified regex version, from regex = “0.1”).
Do you understand the cause of this problem?

Instead of just using “cargo build --release”, you can try a little more aggressive compilation switches, compiling for your CPU, using O3, and more like LTO, and benchmark again the Rust code. I can’t do that yet because I haven’t yet managed to compile your program, for the problems above.

This is more fair for the run-time (because the C++ code is compiled with lto), but it’s also more fair for the compile-time because link time optimization on LLVM takes lot of time.

You should try this branch for benchmarking compile times against C++ version: https://github.com/matklad/rustraytracer/tree/compile-time-benchmark

It does not have any dependencies and compiles just fine.

The version in the master branch is much more feature rich then the C++ code, so it will be an unfair comparison.

Unfortunately I haven’t touch this project since summer, that’s why dependencies are old =(