Writing a tree matcher

I have some code that produces a tree data structure with many different nested node types (i.e. nodes on level 1 are of a different type from nodes on level 2). I would like to write tests for this code; most of the data in the tree must match exactly, but I have several data that I don't care about most of the time. For example, given this type:

enum Node<S> {
    A(Vec<i32>, S),
    B(Vec<(i32, S)>),
}

I would like to test that the return value of some function is Node::B(vec![(0, _), (32, "something")]), meaning the enum variant must be Node::B, the nested vector must have size 2, its first element is a tuple whose first element is 0 (but I don't care about the second one) and its second element is a tuple whose first element is 32 and whose second element equals "something".
I thought about creating a type like this:

enum Matcher<S> {
    Exact(S),
    Wildcard,
}

and implementing PartialEq<Matcher<S>> for S where S: PartialEq and then comparing a Node<S> with a Node<Matcher<S>>, but this is where the plethora of types in my tree begins to cause problems: I would have to implement something analogue to impl<S, T: PartialEq<S>> PartialEq<Node<S>> for Node<T> for every type, and it's really cumbersome. Is there some crate that already does that?

The insta library (in particular, redactions feature), might be useful here: GitHub - mitsuhiko/insta: A snapshot testing library for rust

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation! I was hoping for a more lightweight solution though; I'd rather avoid pulling in serialisation and other heavy machinery as long as my needs are fairly simple.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.