Win10 installation

I just followed the installation instructions and installed "Build Tools for Visual Studio 2019" including the "Windows 10 SDK and the English language pack components".

Unfortunately it seems that the resulting configuration DOES NOT include the Link.exe

Which of the other options must also be selected to actually get a VS environment that includes all that is needed?

You also need to install the MSVC v142 - VS 2019 C++ x64/86 build tools (or something to that effect). This should be included with the C++ workload.

It finally worked but I don't know which of the additional "Optional" packages finally made the difference..nor do I care.

I think it would be a good idea if the sketchy Rust installation instuctions were updated with regard to what actually needs to be selected here. I had finally selected the below (it is propably more than is needed but I did not want to waste more time with trial & error)..

• MSVC v142 VS 2019 C++ x64/x86 build toos (..)
  • Windows 10 SDK (10.0.18362.0)
  • C++ CMake tools for Windows
  • Testing tools core features - Build Tools
  • C++ AddressSanitizer (Expoerimental)
  • C++ ATL for latest v142 build tools (..)
  • C++ MFC for latest v142 build tools(..)
  • C++ Clang tools for Windows (10.0.0 ..)

It should just be the default "C++ workload" with the addition of these components:

• MSVC v142 - VS 2019 C++ x64/86 build tools
  • Windows 10 SDK (10.0.18362.0)`

But I've not done a new install in awhile. I might try again soon and see if I can improve the docs to better reflect what's actually needed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.