Why the return type of `int.leading_zeros` is `u32` of `u8`?

Now that its value won't exceed 128?

(I guess the question might have been discussed somewhere, but I cannot search that out.)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the underlying instruction returns it in that type. I suppose that u32 is a rather nice default size for integers.

@alice Thanks for your reply.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the underlying instruction returns it in that type.

But it seems that it is converted to u32 manually.

I suppose that u32 is a rather nice default size for integers.

In my view, the integer type with the most number of bits is u128/i128. And u8 can hold 0-255 which is sufficient?

It's also a type that wastes at least 75% of the space used for the return value with a probability of 100%.

So it would seem like a good idea to deprecate this function and replace it with an identical one that has a u8 return type.

What if they decide to add a u256/i256?

We will need a way to represent 256 for the function applied to number 0, which clearly needs 9 bits at least.

2 Likes

No offense but what does this even mean?

(0u256).leading_zeroes() == 256

Ah now I see. Well the thing about that is that we can stretch it up arbitrarily far: how about when we consider a hypothetical 0u1024? The line has to be drawn somewhere, or (and maybe this is even preferable) an entirely different scheme is needed where .leading_zeroes() becomes a trait method with a trait signature like

pub trait LeadingZeroes {
  type Output = Self; // type defaults aren't stable yet, but this would make sense

fn leading_zeroes(&self) -> Self::Output;
} 

I think the answer by @brunoczim is reasonable.

@jjpe See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(numbers) . Even for 0u1024, the u32 is sufficient in such cases because log[2, 1024] = 10 < 32. And (2^32)^2 seems to be large enough in the foreseeable future.

1 Like

Yes, this is a mistake I see made again and again in the IT industry as a whole. IP addresses. Time representations in eg kernels (y2k anyone?). All manifestations of the same mistake.

A trait would solve the problem in a forwards compatible way for now and forever. An int with a specified width does not.

What, are you building computers for gods? This is a thing of completely different kind from stating that 32 bits is enough to hold all IP addresses. 2^(2^32) is an egregiously large number.

No, I'm merely arguing for proper solutions rather than filthy hacks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.