draw_rx: [Option<Receiver<DrawCommand>>;8]
}

When I try to initialize it:

let mut control = ThreadCommands {
        control_tx: [None;8],
        draw_rx: [None;8]
    };

I get an error:

the trait boundstd::option::Option<std::sync::mpsc::Sender>: std::marker::Copy is not satisfied

Can someone explain me, why Copy is needed here? And if I can't provide a Copy, how can I initialize this structure?

(Or, may be, I miss something obvious here).

Update: This works:

ThreadCommands {
            control_tx: [None,None,None,None, None,None,None,None],
            draw_rx: [None,None,None,None, None,None,None,None]
        }

But it looks like a mockery. Are compiler that stupid?

This error message stems from the fact that array initialization of the form [expr; N] requires the type of expr to implement Copy.

See also this website.

In your case, you can just use e.g. control_tx: Default::default().

Another option that has come up in a recent thread (that I’m currently not finding for some reason) is to define some const NO_SENDER: Option<Sender<ControlCommand>> = None; and use [NO_SENDER; 8]. I’m personally feeling like: if constants work, they ought to, eventually, get around to make None work directly as well. Edit2: Nevermind it’s already implemented, just not stabilized. On nightly with #![feature(const_in_array_repeat_expressions)], using None directly works.

Edit - this thread:

3 Likes

Thank you! My case was solved by #[derive(Default)] for struct and Default:default() call.

And thank you for clarification on nightly. My high expectations from Rust was met.

Default::default() is what you want here, as others have said. But for the more general question:

As const generics has been getting better and better, we're also starting to get methods on arrays instead of slices. So for example now there's [T; N]::map on nightly, so this could be done with something silly like [(); 8].map(|()| None) -- and there are PRs for more-helpful methods open.

In the mean time there are crates that do this with macros, such as

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.