Why doesn't rust provide any decent way to extend external structs?

This is generally allowed. What Rust disallows is impl SomeTrait for SomeType where SomeTrait and SomeType are both from external crates.

8 Likes

Do you refer that human have a composition of Dust?

Do you refer that "real world objects" is only a proxy of ourselves?

Maybe OOP will be depracted beyond our life framework :thinking:

Not usually. It is a figure of speech used to make a point. It is taken from the classic speech priests give at a funerals .It comes from the bible, specifically Genesis 3:19:

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

My point being that whilst one is busy modeling, in this case a human, as some kind of object from some kind of class that inherits from whatever other classes, in a big interdependent mess of modules one often finds out that the object in question is not that at all, but rather something else, in this case "dust".

That brings us way off topic into the world of physics, philosophy and even politics.

Clearly a lot of people believe so. See for example the recent heated debates over the use of human classifications, in thought and language, like "blacklist/whitelist", "master"/"slave", "he"/"she".

Let's not go there. Only slightly less controversial are things like the fact that Pluto used to be a planet, now it is not.

Certainly makes it look like humans construct a "reality" out of the models they have in their minds. They can get mightily upset when confronted with the errors in their classifications.

Much like OOP programmers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I believe I can cause visible distress to my friends with this one :joy:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.