Why can't default implementations assume `Sized` while being object-safe?

Let's say you have a trait that has a method that lets you get it as a different trait:

trait Bar { }

trait Foo: Bar {
    fn as_bar(&self) -> &dyn Bar;
}

All implementations of this method will be the same; i.e.

fn as_bar(&self) -> &dyn Bar { self }

Therefore, it'd be nice to offload this needless repetition to the trait itself by offering a default implementation, i.e. the exact same as the above:

If you try this, however, the compiler will yell at you:

error[E0277]: the size for values of type `Self` cannot be known at compilation time
 --> src/lib.rs:4:36
  |
4 |     fn as_bar(&self) -> &dyn Bar { self }
  |                                    ^^^^ doesn't have a size known at compile-time
  |
  = note: required for the cast to the object type `dyn Bar`
help: consider further restricting `Self`
  |
4 |     fn as_bar(&self) -> &dyn Bar where Self: Sized { self }
  |                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you try to follow the compiler's advice by putting where Self: Sized on it, however, you can no longer use as_bar() on dyn Foos, missing the point entirely. I understand why it can't assume Self: Sized because you can implement traits for types that are ?Sized, but it's really frustrating to have to strew

on every type you impl the trait for, just because default impls can't make certain assumptions, and "fixing" those assumpetions with Self: Sized breaks something else about the impl instead.

Am I missing some crucial detail, or is this just an unsolvable problem?

1 Like

AFAIK, this is currently unsolvable. Default impls with extra restrictions are part of the unstable specialization feature (which is – by the way – in my opinion quite unfortunate because this way the feature is needlessly blocked on all the problems of specialization like its soundness issues):

#![feature(specialization)]

trait Bar {}

fn more_methods(&self);
}

default impl<T: Foo> Foo for T { // <- T has an implicit T: Sized bound
    fn as_bar(&self) -> &dyn Bar {
        self
    }
}

struct SomeStruct {}
impl Bar for SomeStruct {}
impl Foo for SomeStruct {
    fn more_methods(&self) {
        // …
    }
}
1 Like

Okay, maybe it’s not entirely unsolvable, yet IMO it would be way nicer if Rust just got a feature that allowed proper default implementations with additional bounds. An additional trait will do the job, I guess. It could even become a supertrait of Bar itself, so that other traits like Foo that extend Bar will all get the as_bar method for free.

trait Bar: AsBar {}

trait AsBar {
}

impl<T: Bar> AsBar for T { // <- T has an implicit T: Sized bound
    fn as_bar(&self) -> &dyn Bar {
        self
    }
}

fn more_methods(&self);
}

struct SomeStruct {}
impl Bar for SomeStruct {}
impl Foo for SomeStruct {
    fn more_methods(&self) {
        // …
    }
}

fn foo(x: &dyn Foo) {
    // it works!
    let y: &dyn Bar = x.as_bar();
}

Fortunately, min_specialization can (verbosely) handle similar cases, so there’s a chance this will be possible on stable before the heat death of the universe.

As long as there’s a need to split the trait, I don’t consider it proper “default method implementations with additional trait bounds”. :wink:

2 Likes

If we adapted the approach that (GHC) Haskell takes, we’d be writing something like

trait Bar { }

default fn as_bar(&self) -> &dyn Bar
    where
        Self: Sized
    {
        self
    }
}

No need for specialization, a limit of a single default implementation per trait methods, and it’s still super useful.

2 Likes

Note that's more-or-less what I originally proposed in the linked IRLO thread, but the only response I got was "specialization can already do that." It's an unsatisfying answer because the specialization feature seems doomed to nightly purgatory for the forseeable future; nobody seems interested in pursuing this separately.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.