Who wants to adopt my cool project ? (lock-diff)

Hi there,

I have a git repo called bwatout which contains the configuration of the command-line tools I use daily plus a bunch of utilities written in Python or Rust.

If you've ever seen a dotfiles repo, it's like that, plus a few utilities.

All of the repo is mostly not designed to be used by someone else, but there's a bit of functionality that I think may prove useful in a broader context: lock-diff.rs

If you've ever run git log -p on a Rust project, you may have been annoyed with the large output as soon as the Cargo.lock - which is usually under version control - changes.

Well, git has a solution for that, which is called a diff filter. Basically, under the correct configuration, git diff can call a command on both versions on a given file, then print the diff between the two outputs.

So, the idea is simple: write a bit of rust that would parse the Cargo.lock and instead of printing the whole file, just print <name>@<version> for each dependency:

Before:

--- a/Cargo.lock
+++ b/Cargo.lock
@@ -230,9 +230,9 @@ checksum = "a60553f9a9e039a333b4e9b20573b9e9b9c0bb3a11e201ccc48ef4283456d673"

[[package]]
 name = "libsqlite3-sys"
-version = "0.22.2"
+version = "0.23.2"
 source = "registry+https://github.com/rust-lang/crates.io-index"
-checksum = "290b64917f8b0cb885d9de0f9959fe1f775d7fa12f1da2db9001c1c8ab60f89d"
+checksum = "d2cafc7c74096c336d9d27145f7ebd4f4b6f95ba16aa5a282387267e6925cb58"
 dependencies = [
  "pkg-config",
  "vcpkg",

After:

--- a/Cargo.lock
+++ b/Cargo.lock
-libsqlite3-sys@0.22.2
+libsqlite3-sys@0.23.2

So, here's the deal: I've already have lots of open-source project to maintain and I don't really feel like going through all the work of extracting the code in a separate repository, add some documentation, publish a crate on crates.io and so on ...

So if you want, you may become the next maintainer of lock-diff !

I think it's a cool project to get started as a maintainer, so feel free to let me know below if you'd be interested and I would gladly help you get started.

PS: the tool also works on poetry.lock files, used by poetry and it should not be too hard to make it work for other languages.

PPS: Feel free to find a cooler name :stuck_out_tongue:

Consider posting this in the call for participation thread or otherwise submitting it to This Week In Rust.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.