Which language should I use for low level programming (OS development), Rust or Nim?

Definitely a valid point there. It's when something gets to a certain point that they are both very suitable for a job that you have to look much more carefully between the options.

3 Likes

If they’re both very suitable for the job, you can flip a coin and move on. Careful consideration is only needed when none of the tools are a good fit and you need to make them work anyway.

But when they are both suitable, and they are very different, then each choice means potentially changing your life quite drastically. ( Your programming life anyway ). Anything that has such a profound impact on your experience programming, especially when you are going to be doing a lot of programming or using it for an important project, deserves careful consideration.

2 Likes

At some point, on many decisions never mind programming language choice, we have incomplete information and it is not practical to expend so much time and effort on getting it. We have to move forward or be paralyzed.

So we go with our gut.

Then we rationalize the choice afterwards if anyone asks.

I go with Rust, my gut told me to.

1 Like

For anyone reading the comments on this post, please note the subject line changed : "(OS development)" was added. This changes the question quite substantially, IMO, the early comments were addressing a different question - I was quite confused for a few minutes, before noticing the edit.

Personally, if would use Rust where I could, rather than C++. For those places where I still need C, including bare-metal bootstrapping, I would use Zig, which not only can compile C code but also has incorporated many features of Rust, thus reducing the impedance mismatch. I would not use a language that needed a garbage collector (GC).

3 Likes

Yes you are right about that.

According to the Nim programmers, you can turn of ARC, but then you will be manually managing your memory usage yourself. At least with Rust it uses ownerships instead of making you do memory management yourself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.