Which io crate to use on embedded systems

Not having Read and Write traits in no_std is a known and common problem. Luckily, there libraries to help us out. Unfortunately, they are many and I have trouble picking one. What I found so far:

• core_io, which is a clone of std::io but with all allocating features optional/omitted
  • core2, kind of the same but different?
  • bare_io looks like the former name of core_io, but then why didn't they yank all releases or at least put a deprecation warning/redirection? (Also, I might be wrong)
  • embedded_hal seems to be widely used, but it has many Read and Write traits depending on context which is weird. (It makes sense from a hal perspective, but not for some other tasks)
  • not_io, at which point I gave up the search and decided to ask for help
3 Likes

Perhaps specify the criteria (or at least target platform) for picking a specific library to get some better answers? There's likely a reason why there's so many options, and it might just be that some are better suited to specific use cases.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.