Which comprehension crate?

There is quite a number of crates implementing comprehension syntax (in the Miranda -> Haskell -> Python lineage):

and probably more.

Have you any experience with any of these?

Can you suggest how to choose between them, or recommend some over some others?

1 Like

I'm the author of that one; I was quite pleased with the state of that crate at the time I wrote it, and would be willing to add features to it should somebody feel something is lacking (e.g., sugar for hashmaps as well, :thinking: or some suffix .vec() / .map() adaptors rather than vec_it!: iter!(…).vec() and iter!(…).map()). Other than that the macros are simple enough to write that any of these multiple implementations / crates ought to be trustworthy, I'd say. It may then be a matter of which comprehension syntax you are most used to and thus most comfortable reading / writing. I personally went with a huge Python bias, for instance :slightly_smiling_face:

• I personally like the fact my macros supported if let Some(x) = elem clauses, with the new bindings available in the <expr> part of the comprehension; I don't know if the others do.

• It also comes with a nice lazy-formatting utility, should you be concerned about performance of "joining strings", for instance.

2 Likes

Does iter-python support Cartesian products (nested fors)?

For example, trying to reproduce this Python example

>>> [ x*y for x in range(3) for y in range(3) ]
[0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 0, 2, 4]

like this

vec![ x*y for x in (0..3) for y in (0..3) ];

gives this error:

|
10 |     vec![ x*y for x in (0..3) for y in (0..3) ];
   |     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   |
   = help: consider adding a `#![recursion_limit="256"]` attribute to your crate (`foo`)
   = note: this error originates in the macro `$crate::vec_it` (in Nightly builds, run with -Z macro-backtrace for more info)

As of the latest release, it does :slightly_smiling_face: (I've also take the chance to clean up the code and make sure the macro is readable; supporting comma-less syntax required some muching)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.