What's next after rust book?

I just completed rust book. What should i target next, to enhance my rust skills?

3 Likes

My suggestion would be to switch to project-based learning at this point: Think of some piece of software that you want, and then learn whatever things you need to in order to write it yourself.

10 Likes

I can highly recommend "Rust for Rustaceans" from Jon Gjengset. The best book about Rust that I know.

3 Likes
1 Like

I second this.

Its really easy to get stuck in the trap of "I don't know enough to get started", then you are forever reading tutorials and doing coding challenges, and never start using your skills. Then what happens is you don't see the wins or feel like you are ticking boxes rather than making real progress, and lose motivation.

Programming is more like a trade-like than academic - you learn some of the basics in a structured environment (e.g. the classroom or a tutorial) and then use real world experience to practice those fundamentals and guide your continued development.

One of the most rewarding experiences I've had is to be midway through something and find that I don't know how to accomplish something (maybe you need two components to be able to update the same variable or need to communicate over web sockets or whatever). At that point, you start browsing the internet, reading forum threads, and going down rabbit holes until you find something that might work. Then, you try to use that technique or library or whatever in your project.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, either way you've learnt something and come one step closer to your goal.

5 Likes

I think you should start creating your own projects, it would give you more practical experience nor just reading and working by a book.
In my case, I’m really bored when reading books. Classical rust book is pretty good but if I don’t do practise and don’t do my cases - I feel like I’m stuck somewhere and have no motivation to go further.
As an iOS developer I started using rust for business logic and backend. I think you can also try to see the cases using your background (if you have it)

1 Like

Even with a book, the real learning comes from doing, not from reading

2 Likes

The other Rust book Welcome to Comprehensive Rust 🦀 - Comprehensive Rust 🦀 :slight_smile:

But really I agree with others here. At some point one has to stop studying and trying to learn every little detail of the language. One has to roll ones sleves up and try to write some project in Rust. If one has been through the material once, even if having skimmed half of it, one will know where to look for solutions as problems crop up during project development.

Compare to speaking English, or whatever your primary language is. Generally people do not know all the words in a language, or how to spell them all, or the details the grammar rules. And they don't wait until they know all that before they speak. No, one just speaks as best one can. One looks things up when not sure. One improves over time with interaction with others.

Having long conversations with the error messages and advice from the Rust compiler is a great education.

Addendum: Also it's probably good to browse the book and other resources from time to time while developing ones Rust project or after. Often one will find some new detail that did not "click" or was just overlooked first time round and get the realisation "Oh, that is what that is for... I could have used that when trying to do x or y in the project".

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.