What's everyone working on this week (49/2015)?


Just a few weeks left this year. What are you folks up to?


Actually: coding. Debugging my rumprun cross-compile environment on OS X and then using it :).


I am working on a little CLI utility to compile my builds on the most powerful PC on the network, rather than baking my laptop and since I’m too lazy to SSH in each time, I’ll rather build a tool to automate it.
It all has to be basically one command after some easy initial config.

Basically the concept is this; I figured many of us, developers, have both a laptop and a much more powerful desktop at home, which we however rarely use because the configs on the laptop are more up to date than on the desktop, given the laptop is with us everywhere.
We then then to do most of the work on the less powerful laptop, including compiling, when instead we should leverage the desktop’s housepower to do the compiling, while we can do other stuff on the laptop.

I’m building a tool that would keep a list of all the machines on your LAN that you want, have a database of their specs and allow you to offload the compilation step from your laptop to the most powerful machine in the database, keeping the source between your laptop and the target build machine in sync, while copying the target binaries back onto your laptop once done, placing them right where they would be had you done the build locally.

Very much an idea at this point, however I’m starting to actually code this up this week.


I have two breaking changes that I’m planning on making to Diesel, which I want to make before too many people rely on the old behavior, so I’m hoping to get 0.2 out today. Then I’m going to be doing some small releases filling out missing functions and operators from the query API.


That’s cool


I’m trying to figure out the best method of encryption to use with the Linux backdoor I’m writing for my pentesting job. It looks like the most commonly used crypto crates in Rust are bindings to C libraries, and I can’t really rely on that because I don’t have control over the hosts that the backdoor will be running on, so if libsodium or openssl aren’t already installed I’m out of luck. I tried statically linking to include the C library, but the resulting binary was larger than I’d like. I’m going to hit up the rust-crypto channel on IRC to see if their crate could work for my use case. Hopefully once this is done, I can convince the customer to let me abandon the old backdoor in C and do my development primarily in Rust.


Working on my approximate equality comparison library. Also trying to get gl-rs up to scratch so that we can finally publish a stable version of gl_generator. Also lots of spring cleaning to do to it internally.


We just released our backend abstraction framework for writing computations in plain Rust and executing them on various devices (CPU, GPU) through OpenCL or Cuda. To speed up build and deployment flexibility, it has no hard dependencies on either OpenCL or Cuda and will fall back to the native host CPU if the framework libraries are not available. The whole thing is swapable at run-time.

We developed it for the Machine Intelligence Framework Leaf, where it underpins the entire computation of the network.

We will work this week on getting closer to real world benchmarks to other Machine Learning Frameworks.


It would be awesome to extend this idea to spinning up a digital ocean droplet to compile on demand too :wink:

I have some digital ocean Rust projects, but haven’t kept them up to date, and they would require some massaging as they were built as I was still figuring things out :wink:

docli (CLI) and doapi (backend lib) for the curious.


1 week left gonna finish gotta finish


That’s definitely something I would like to do as well, since with DO’s hourly pricing a machine with 8GB RAM and 4 virtual cores would cost you just over 0.1USD/hour, translating into a little under a dollar per working day, (assuming that you destroy the machine after work that day), which actually sounds like a very lucrative remote build box, now that I am thinking about it.
Thanks for the idea @kbknapp !


Continue working on REST API, implemented 2-step authentication endpoints and it was pretty simple, thanks to r2fa crate.
Solved issue with dying MySQL connection after 8 hours timeout.
Next step - utilize r2d2-mysql for better concurrency.


Working on brining my rust_minifb https://github.com/emoon/rust_minifb lib over to only use Rust (now is a combo of C + ObjC) Currently the initial Windows version has been moved over to Rust here https://github.com/emoon/rust_minifb/blob/windows-rs/src/windows.rs


I’m beginning work on an information retrieval library that will use finite state transducers to represent the inverted index. I have some of the basic tokenization stuff done, and now I’m trying to design transaction semantics. Feel free to hop on #rust-ir if you want to chat more!


I’m working on releasing 0.3.0 of my Go engine Iomrascálaí. The README is now looking better and I’ve finally gotten around to adding a code of conduct. Now I just need to run the benchmark to see how good it performs. That will probably keep my computer occupied for a few days.

And while this runs I’ll work on the first feature for the next release. It should lead to some nicer visualisation of what the engine thinks of the current board state.


I’m diving into the world of colors and color spaces, with the hope of surfacing with a useful library. I’m close, but there are still some things to do before I want to give it a proper version number.


I’m updating my COLLADA parsing library to get it closer to supporting all of the core spec. Previously I was writing the parser by hand but now it’s grown large enough that I’ve switched over to using a macro to generate parsing code. The macro is huge and a massive pain in the ass but it’s still better than writing everything by hand.