What's everyone working on this week (45/2019)?

New week, new Rust! What are you folks up to?

If I find the time between studying for exams, I want to look at my backblaze-b2 crate again now that async await is being stabilized.

I just released the version 0.10.0 of broot and I'll try to make it to the 1.0. If I receive no bug report it should be just a few commits away.

Note: if somebody wants to drive the Windows version, I'm interested. It's hard for me to optimize for a platform I can't directly test on and I suspect broot on Windows doesn't run as well as the linux and mac versions.

Pondering composable logic for polling multiple event sources with the futures-preview APIs that would be completely static, unlike select!. Pointers to any prior art are welcome, it can't be that I'm the first one to want this.

Finally picked up Rust for the first time this week. Already I'm working on a volatile datastore with it.

it's uh.. going along pretty rough as I learn the ins-and-outs of the language and it's quirks and nuances admittedly; but I'll get there

1 Like

I merged a branch (I was working on for a week) back into the master branch today:

Basically I cleaned up the code for the main executable (rendering .pbrt files) plus two examples (rendering .ass and .blend files) by moving the SamplerIntegrator trait to an enum and providing another enum for the remaining integrators.

That means five integrators use exactly the same render loop:

  1. Ambient Occlusion (AO)
  2. Direct Lighting (no Global Illumination [GI])
  3. Whitted’s ray-tracing algorithm (no GI)
  4. Path Tracing (Global Illumination)
  5. Path Tracing (for participating media [volpath])

The other three remaining integrators use each their own render loop:

  1. Bidirectional Path Tracing (Global Illumination)
  2. Metropolis Light Transport (MLT)
  3. Stochastic Progressive Photon Mapping (SPPM)

All of this functionality was there before but restructuring the code was not trivial and took time ...

Now I will be back on working on the performance of the Rust code (via flamegraph and heaptrack):


I improved sauron web framework to be allow efficient server side rendering as well.

I just published a platform agnostic driver for the OPT300x family of ambient light sensors. See the introductory blog post here