What's everyone working on this week (42/2023)?

New week, new Rust! What are you folks up to?

Struct, enums, pattern matching, vecs, hashtables, and getting Vim to use a colourscheme that is actually readable.

(I didn’t say I was a pro :slight_smile: )

1 Like

A rusty port of Colossal Cave Adventure - mainly Don Knuth's version. Remember reading an interview with him where he mentioned a book called "Dirty tricks in C" and how he was super keen to get hold of it. When he finally did he was disappointed because he knew most of the "tricks" and didn't consider them dirty.

His literate programming cweb document renders beautifully - the c code less so (formatting), but is interesting. Many things there that will make a rustascean blush - assigning string to an enum just so he can use it in an expression that evaluates to bool, heavy use of c-preprocessor, gotos, does his own linked lists and random numbers. Almost no functions - one 4k lines long main routine. Uses the register keyword a lot, though I think it has been a long time since it made any difference.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.