What's everyone working on this week (31/2020)?

New week, new Rust! What are you folks up to?

I am working on a platform-agnostic driver for Melexis MLX90614/MLX90615 infrared (non-contact) thermometer.

2 Likes

Just I released the new version 0.7.2 of Yew Styles which includes title text type in Text component, the prop disabled in FormSubmit and more fixes.

https://github.com/spielrs/yew_styles/tree/v0.7.2

I'm currently trying to make my own crypto currency / library for cryptocurrencies

I has been a while since the last release, but here are some performance improvements:

https://www.rs-pbrt.org/blog/v0-8-2-release-notes/

and one change for parse_blend_file.rs to re-use the same Blender mesh for several objects:

That issue was mentioned before but is now part of the release (and I needed a pretty picture) ...

For more details read the release notes (link above).

1 Like

That looks eerily like my old school classrooms.

Of course the world was monochrome back in those days before they invented color. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I managed to finally publish my first crate, impl-enum. It's a macro I created mainly for my own use, but I could see others getting something out of it as well. It's inspired by enum_dispatch but is a little more flexible at the cost of requiring more work from the user.

In short

#[impl_enum::with_methods {
    fn write_all(&mut self, buf: &[u8]) -> Result<(), std::io::Error> {}
    pub fn write(&mut self, buf: &[u8]) -> Result<usize, std::io::Error> {}
}]
enum Writer {
    Cursor(Cursor<Vec<u8>>),
    File(File),
}

=>

impl Writer {
    fn write_all(&mut self, buf: &[u8]) -> Result<(), std::io::Error> {
        match self {
            Self::Cursor(cursor) => cursor.write_all(buf),
            Self::File(file) => file.write_all(buf),
        }
    }

pub fn write(&mut self, buf: &[u8]) -> Result<usize, std::io::Error> {
        match self {
            Self::Cursor(cursor) => cursor.write(buf),
            Self::File(file) => file.write(buf),
        }
    }
}

I had a set of 6 types (and more in the future) implementing the same trait with several methods, where one is dynamically chosen at runtime. Using trait objects worked but meant I couldn't use associated types or constants in the trait which would've made the implementation a lot cleaner, and enum_dispatch didn't work because the types and trait were all defined in different crates. I eventually switched to an enum with a hand-written impl like above, which was very tedious and repetitive to write and maintain. So I made this! I intend to expand it a bit in the future , but for now it does what I need it to do.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.