What's everyone working on this week (3/2019)?


#1

New week, new Rust! What are you folks up to?


#2

Figuring out how to write custom prefabs in :gem: Amethyst, then perhaps shall write a guide on that.

Part of that “figuring out” process is using it to load assets in my game.


#3

Still working on enumx project, with some significant improvements.


#4

Finally getting somewhere with audio support in Tetra - first time mucking about with the concurrency primitives in Rust, and it’s been surprisingly painless so far :slight_smile:

I think once this is done, I’m going to take a little break from developing new features until I’ve actually had a chance to make some stuff with the engine. That said, still open to bug reports/feature requests!


#5

Got some free time again and spent it working on uom (type-safe zero-cost dimensional analysis ) over the weekend. Finished a long-open PR to implement formatting traits. I’m planning on pushing the update to crates.io today.


#6

I think I just fixed a bug and therefore finished the subsurface scattering code. I’m in the middle of re-rendering the test scene with 8192 pixelsamples, but a lower pixel sample value looks already promising (see issue). The high res version will render a couple of hours, so once it’s confirmed to match the C++ code I will not only close the issue, but cleanup and prepare/release a new rs-pbrt version. After that I might have some time to contemplate a bit about last years progress, and write a blog post about future plans for the renderer, where I could use some help, or where to focus research on …


#7

I have finally got around to publishing my blog posts about learning Rust. My plan is to work on increasingly complicated projects while learning Rust
https://www.codeslow.com/2019/01/simple-sudoku-solver-in-rust.html and https://www.codeslow.com/2019/01/simple-sudouk-solver-in-rust-part-2.html


#8

Designing an ergonomic ODE solver API around my sundials-sys ffi crate. Would love input from anybody with opinions on what this should look like (closer to C interface, or closer to a Scipy rip-off, or a macro-based DSL, etc) otherwise I have a few ideas I hope to get to this weekend and start iterating on.


#9

The image rendered by Rust matches the C++ version 100% :star_struck:

> imf_diff sss_dragon.png ~/Graphics/Rendering/PBRT/pbrt-v3-scenes/sssdragon/f15-7.png
sss_dragon.png /usr/people/jan/Graphics/Rendering/PBRT/pbrt-v3-scenes/sssdragon/f15-7.png: no differences.
== "sss_dragon.png" and "/usr/people/jan/Graphics/Rendering/PBRT/pbrt-v3-scenes/sssdragon/f15-7.png" are identical

The scene can be downloaded from here (pbrt/sss_dragon.tar.gz) …


#10

Work-in-progress of dark theme for crates.rs, thanks to @mglax


#11

I released the fist version of malaga_http_utils_0.1 and I will start to work with malaga framework


#12

Added many methods for the Ruby garbage collector.

And I have been discussing how we can possibly get Ruby objects stored in a Rust Vec to work since the Ruby GC will crash when we use a Rust Vec rather than a Rust array.


#13

Still working on Eko, a simple scripting language written in Rust. I’m in the middle of reworking the interpreter to use bytecode instead of walking the tree.