What's everyone working on this week (3/2016)?

I hope to finally get some work on semantic-rs done as well as researching 2 upcoming Rust talks.

I'm working on a big overhaul to log4rs that should make it significantly more robust.

A (very!) long time ago I started working on a little platformer using gfx-rs, but it ended up on hiatus (baby, university etc.). This week I'll be picking it back up and will hopefully have something new to show in a week.

2 Likes

Just deployed a microservice (rewritten from Python to Rust) on staging env. Currently writing docs. I found it more convenient to write in a markdown editor and then paste back to .rs files :wink:

I'm working on a bunch of projects in the loop at the same time:

1. https://github.com/emoon/tundra/tree/rust-support - Adding Rust support to Tundra. This is coming along and it's now possible to add a Cargo project for binaries in there. Still things to sort out though.
  2. GitHub - demozoo/open_depacker: Depacker of various compression formats - New project. Motivations for this one can be found on on the GH page.
  3. https://github.com/emoon/ProDBG/blob/rust - Work is progressing here as well. Moved bunch of the code over for the Window handling and now have a proper main function which doesn't rely on callbacks which is way nicer. That also means i don't need to do "tricks" for memory cleanup and such.

Thats about it :slight_smile:

I just started rust after reading book 3 times :slightly_smiling: . I'll try to write my chip-8 emulator.

1 Like

I just published my first crate!
It's a Rust port of VerbalExpressions which are meant to make building regexes easier.
Crates.io
Repo
Docs

Feel free to critisize, I'd love some feedback!

Known issues: complete tests, more examples in docs

Open questions:

• Is it a good idea to have a Verex.string and Verex.source field?
  • Should Verex.source really be recreated all the time?
  • Should I duplicate all the functions as constructors in lib.rs?
  • Which methods should be public? (Maybe add warnings for the risky methods?)
1 Like

I'll continue to work on my evolutionary algorithms library (darwin-rs) and want to add multiple populations.

Hi guycook,

that's neat. How do you do collision detection ? Self-made or is there a rust crate ?
I also wrote a platform game in python (snowball) that I would like to port to Rust someday.

Published New Rustacean e010: Macros rule!. Then promptly got schooled on all the things I got partly or wholly wrong! That response has a bunch of helpful links to discussions of the way macros currently behave, nearly all of which was news to me.

1 Like

I'm using cgmath for the vector operation impls, but otherwise it's self-made. It's using the swept aabb algorithm which I found is best explained here.

I have recently pushed up two different crates. The first, marid, is a library for managing parallel, long-running threads within a process. Notably, this crate exposes an easy interface for responding to signals as a shutdown mechanism. I have just published a small blog post detailing more about it.

The second crate is a Rust testing DSL in the TDD/BDD style. It is currently on v0.1.0, but is definitely usable for many different cases. Inspired by such matcher libraries as rspec and ginkgo, my favorite feature is the support for async-style expectations with the eventually and consistently assertions. For this crate I am really looking for information on what types of other matchers people would find useful, so please take a look at the current docs and let me know if there is anything you would want that is missing.

1 Like

cool, thanks for the link. I'll have a look into this.

Writing 1.6 release notes and making the release. Revisiting my Cargo RUSTFLAGS patch. Revisiting my emscripten patch. Maybe making some crater improvements.

2 Likes

I'm in the midst of some heavy refactoring in Gunship. As it turns out providing a convenient game engine API in a language as low-level as Rust isn't super easy. Most of the techniques that I would use in a language like C# don't really apply or undermine the whole point of using Rust in the first place. I have a good idea of the direction I'm headed in but only time (and a lot of work) is going to make it clear what the best system is.

1 Like

I've been working to add n-ary heaps and B-trees to libreal, and playing with representations of hypercomplex numbers in Rust.

I'm trying to add a more module based system for yayd & get unit tests for everything, also running on travis.

I've been working on my first patch to Rust, and somehow spent a lot of yesterday trying to get appveyor to build Rust. (Verdict: we'll need a pre-built LLVM, which isn't surprising.) I've also been working on a library for multiprocess Rust, allowing running Rust functions in other processes. Fork without the exec.