What's everyone working on this week (22/2017)?

New week, new Rust! What are you folks up to?

Wondering to which extent the wonderful Random123 library of counter-based random number generators could be ported to Rust. Main roadblock is that it’s essentially a mixture of compiler intrinsics and C-style macros, so deciphering the code is going to be quite fun, and making it as fast as the original is likely to be even funnier…

Doing some more Libz Blitz! I volunteered to lead the walkdir evaluation, which is off to a good start. I’m currently trying to track down previous threads of discussion around the web for Rust language issues/recommendations and make sure the discussion points stay in the context of walkdir. It’s a new experience, but the libs team is very accommodating :slight_smile:

So if you want to get involved check out the main thread for contribution opportunities!

Converted tantivy's main error type to use error-chain and capture some more details.

Keep working on the new docs for elastic so I can merge that month’s worth of code sitting in a PR.

Finally pushed cbrt / recip / sqrt implementations for uom (type-safe zero-cost dimensional analysis). While simplifying one of the internal macros found an ugly bug that would cause multiply/divide operations to have the wrong value the values involved had different base units and dimensions! I’ve also been working on making tests run for both f32 and f64 instead of just f64.

This week I’ll likely release an update on crates.io. I’m also looking for any crates that use physical quantities as raw values. I want to experiment converting to uom to ensure that what I’m building has a easy-to-use API.

Version v0.1.7 renders the same image as v0.1.6 using all available CPUs:

But the simple (direct lighting) test scene renders too fast to really take advantage of multi-threading.
So I need either a more complex test scene for direct lighting or start working on global illumination, which surely will increase render times …

Added support to piston-music to allow for simultaneous playback of music and sound effects in games.

I made xvf, a small tool to extract archives on the command line.

It uses libseccomp to limit the attack surface (though there’s still a lot; it’s a shame this is not supported directly by tar &co).

It is inspired by dtrx (it won’t create more than one file in the current directory), and uses some Linux-specific magic to make sure it can’t overwrite existing files.

Testers welcome!