What's everyone working on this week (21/2021)?

New week, new Rust! What are you folks up to?

Working on a vulkan renderer https://github.com/scifi6546/Sukakpak

I'm working away on finalizing my new book, Hands-on Rust. The final manuscript is submitted, and it should be available either late June or early July. It's been in beta since November, but I believe this is the first time I've posted about it here. (Aside: I'm hoping nobody will mind if I make an announcement thread here when it launches?)

Hands-on Rust is designed for newcomers to Rust (with a little experience in other languages - variables, control flow) to learn the language - and have fun doing so. It starts out by helping get the toolchain working, and dives into some console programs to teach language basics. That's enough knowledge to make your first game - Flappy Dragon (a Flappy Bird type game). Then it dives into making a dungeon crawler, teaching language concepts along the way - and reinforcing them with follow-along examples. By the end of the book, the reader has a working knowledge of beginner-to-intermediate level Rust - and has made some fun games to show off.

It's peripherally related to the Rust Roguelike Tutorial I've been working on for a few years, but has a very different focus. The tutorial is all about making a roguelike (my favorite type of game!) - while the book is intended to be a gentle and friendly introduction to the wonderful world of Rust programming.

It's exciting! The book should be in paperback and e-book release in July. I'm really hoping that it will bring more people into Rust, and introduce everyone to the awesome Rust community. It's also a "bucket list" item - I've always wanted to publish a real book. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.