What's everyone working on this week (19/2017)?

New week, new Rust! What are you folks up to?

1 Like

I'll finish off my grand refactoring effort in elastic. It should have a much more useful API I can keep building off in the future.

3 Likes

Moving on in the Coursera crypto MOOC, continuing to implement any crypto primitive that I miss as a learning exercise. Made me wonder what's the current state of Rust crypto libraries, so I went and had a look on Github and crates.io.

The result made me a bit sad: as far as I can tell, the only mature and well-maintained Rust crypto libraries that are currently available are mostly thin FFI bindings over C or asm code. Any project which tries to leverage Rust's strengths for crypto seems to be currently either in limbo due to maintainer unavailability (like rust-crypto) or in a very preliminary state (like octavo).

1 Like

Blinking LED project on Raspberry Pi3.

Attempting to use crosstool-ng to cross-compile GCC to get the glibc I need for cargo to compile my Rust app from Mac OS X to an armv7-unknown-linux-gnueabihf binary.

This is amazingly difficult and time-consuming to get right. I've probably tried half a dozen different approaches so far, each having led to a dead end of one sort or another. But for some reason, I'm optimistic that the forces of good will prevail and I'll have something to show for my efforts. :wink:

2 Likes

I'm going through Cryptopals in Rust, to make myself more familiar with the language.

1 Like

made some progress on my tokio based mqtt broker called rumqttd.

benchmarks are already promising when compared to mosquitto & emqttd

3 Likes

I've changed dependency of spongedown to use comrak, previously it was pulldown-cmark. Now, spongedown have all the nice features in github flavored markdown + latex equations + svgbob diagrams + csv code blocks. I'm also writing an electron base dekstop app to edit and render your local markdown notes with spongedown. This will be like poor man's org-mode by taking those really nice features in org-mode and incorporating it in markdown.

2 Likes

Still hacking away on lichen dialogue dsl, I've added functionality that makes it a bit more generalized to use. I added state mutations to the environment as well as external rust data through a trait. Mutations include basic math, value swap, and custom functionality that would be extended during implementation. Example increment custom functionality and its trait. For a more complete syntax documentation, click here.

1 Like

ring doesn't have what you need? Anytime I think of rust and crypto that's my go
to lib.

Wow, that site looks like a lot of fun. And also a huge time sink that would definitely distract me from things that need to get done. In other words, I'm might give some of those a try :slight_smile:

@cbreeden I've used it in the past to solidify knowledge of a language, but you're right. It is kind of a time suck. I've never gotten though all the sets but we'll see how far I get this time.

It does, but also belongs to the "thin C/asm wrapper" category to a large extent, although there are efforts to enlarge the part that is written in Rust in the long term.

Currently working on the https://github.com/alexcrichton/flate2-rs/issues/76 flate2 usage examples that has been on the Rust Weekly for 4 weeks now. Got my first rust PR accepted today, contributing to the new book!

5 Likes