What should i do?

Hi, it's been a while since I last asked here. I used to really enjoy studying Rust until one day when I became very busy with my bio academics. I forgot several chapters that I had studied in The Book and became too lazy to review them. Is it better to review those chapters or continue to the next one?

Given that you have been busy with other things and taken time out from Rust I would suggest starting the book from the beginning again. You never know what you may have forgotten. It should not take you long to get through.

Don't forget that "learning by doing" is a pretty good idea. When you have read a chapter or two start writing some of your own code. This will confirm whether you have the right idea about it or not and consolidate your memory of it. It's no good just reading the thing.

Have fun.

4 Likes

Well, it's a matter of how important are those chapters for the average code you will write in Rust, I would say.

More generally, if you have forgotten something that you think is important, you should definitely revisit the subject. Since you haven't detailed what those chapters are, it's impossible for us to say whether you should revisit them or move forward.

1 Like

Good point. I have now been using Rust for 3 years and I still have only skimmed (and forgotten) the macros section. Haven't really look at Object Oriented Features. I haven't paid much attention to lifetimes, I'm inclined to think that if I start to feel need lifetime tick marks in my code I'm going in the wrong direction.

Despite my negligence I have produced useful code in Rust that has been in production successfully for a long time now.

Give that the OP is into "bio academics" I wonder what motivates the question. Surely as a student/academic they know what study methods suit them best by now.

3 Likes

Something similar happened to me: I did study rust a couple years ago and then got back. I did forget almost everything :slight_smile: .

I recommend the following. Skim through the book, and then go to https://exercism.org and get into the rust track.

Nothing beats learn by doing experience: exercism places challenges to beat, and once you have solved, you can ask for a code review or, (the best in my opinion), see the best solutions made by other people.

At the end of the book, I really got lost: a "Now what?" feeling: by doing the exercises there I'm building my confidence.

3 Likes

Thank you, i will start from beginning again

Wow, good idea. Thank you for your suggestion..

I recommend just typing out the examples in Introduction - Rust By Example and learning via fixing the type/compiler error due to typos.

2 Likes

Possibly due to my age (I am 65 years old), I am practically unable to learn by reading the book, so what I do is write Rust software and refer to the book (or elsewhere) when the need arises. Even when I have learnt something like macros, I still have to refer back to either an example or the Book when I need to write new macros (which is not often).

Rust is BIG, even supposing you manage to learn and remember the whole language, there is the standard library and then literally thousands of crates in crates.io. I won't ever be able to remember in detail a fraction of this, what is needed is sufficient orientation so that you know of the existence of features and can quickly go and find the details when you need them. I still haven't written any proc macros, and may never do so. You do not need to know the whole of Rust before you can start using it productively.

5 Likes

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it.

Another small thing worth noting: your second (or third, fourth, etc) time through the basics will be faster than your previous time(s), as you will likely already recognize some of the information and thus not need to spend as much time on it. And even the master can usually learn from reviewing the basics.

2 Likes

went through the same phase.

when i came back i tried tour of rust and 99 problems

after these are done, try rewriting one of your past projects (small ones) in rust and see how it goes.

Lucky we are not trying to learn all of C++ :slight_smile: Is Rust actually big? I don't get that feeling particularly.

To add to the exercises, rustlings is fantastic:

Keeping track of and reviewing your progress is easy since it's essentially a unit test suite.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.