What is the most powerful _single_ machine Rust/Linux runs on?

Because distributed programming is hard, I am trying to figure out the max performance we can get out of a single machine.

Of all the architectures that Rust targets (and also runs Linux), what is the most powerful machine we can get? Is it:
(1) dual core AMD Epyc
(2) ampere altra
(3) something else ... ?

For simplicity, let's rule out infiniband + rdma. I want something where we can easily use AtomicU64 and have it visible to all nodes/threads of the single machine.

Also, let us rule out GPUs. We're not doing floating point crunching. We do not have that level of a data parallelism.

Primarily, I am interested in the # of cores we can have, subject to the constraint that all cores can see all memory and access shared AtomicU64's.

Thanks!

Related: are there "mainframe" computers that Rust runs on, as opposed to "merely" "commercial servers" ?

The System/390, Power, and RISC-V architectures are all on the Tier-2 target list, so you should be able to find a mainframe-class computer that can run both rustc and programs implemented in Rust (though there may be some quirks/bugs).

s390x-unknown-linux-gnu is a supported “tier 2” target for Rust, and is a real IBM zSeries mainframe. I don’t know who’s actually using this.

These aren’t necessarily the fastest machines. The z15 CPU supports 24 simultaneous threads on 12 cores, which I think is less than AMD Epyc.

IIRC, the EPYC goes up to 64 cores / socket. There appears to be motherboards that support dual EPYC.

Interesting. I've never (knowingly) used a mainframe. Does anyone here have real world experience with Rust on mainframes?

This support is for Linux running in a VM (what they used to call an LPAR, I think) on the mainframe, so it will look a lot like any other 64-bit Linux server. Rust targeting z/OS would be quite different.

What is a "single machine"? The most performant computer in the world at the moment seems to be Supercomputer Fugaku - Supercomputer Fugaku, A64FX 48C 2.2GHz, Tofu interconnect D | TOP500 at 16 PFlop/s . You would probably describe it as a rather big number of smaller computers, but it counts as one machine. And it is running Red Hat Enterprise Linux as operating system, so it's probably running rust. At least some rg somewhere in some administrative script ... :slight_smile:

Great question. The 'definition' I had in mind was:

• all cores can see all memory
  • we can use AtomicU64 on one core, and see it reflected on another core

Some supercomputer clusters (like the now-retired Blacklight) would meet that criteria FYI.

1 Like

Interesting read.

Blacklight consists of 512 processors and two connected 16-terabyte memory systems, the two largest coherent shared-memory systems in the world,

u-12tb1.metal 12 TB (ram) 448(cores)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.