VS Code rust-analyzer activation error

I recently installed VS Code only for Rust use, but am having trouble getting rust-analyzer setup for it.

I initially had the Rust plug-in, then switched to rust-analyzer since apparently it's the wave of the future. I read through the "Rust Analyzer won't work!" thread, and have tried uninstalling / reinstalling, and setting Cargo: All Features to true.

Per the rust-analyzer User Manual's Troubleshooting section, I tried "rust-analyzer-trace-server": "verbose", since it was the first one I could figure out how to do. I found the following output:

[2020-06-22 11:20:28.501] [exthost] [error] Activating extension matklad.rust-analyzer failed due to an error:
[2020-06-22 11:20:28.503] [exthost] [error] Error: Failed to bootstrap rust-analyzer. Open "Help > Toggle Developer Tools > Console" to see the logs
	at ~/.vscode/extensions/matklad.rust-analyzer-0.2.215/out/src/main.js:16808:15
	at async activate (~/.vscode/extensions/matklad.rust-analyzer-0.2.215/out/src/main.js:16800:24)
	at async Promise.all (index 0)
	at async Promise.all (index 1)
	at async Promise.all (index 81)
	at async Promise.all (index 1)

And in the logs there is:

ERR No application in the Launch Services database matches the input criteria.: 
Error: No application in the Launch Services database matches the input criteria.

Is this the problem? How might I fix it?

I'm not sure what information might be useful. Here is my current VS Code settings.json:

    "telemetry.enableTelemetry": false,
    "rust-client.engine": "rust-analyzer",
    "rust-client.autoStartRls": false,
    "editor.fontSize": 16,
    "rust-analyzer.cargo.allFeatures": true,
    "rust-analyzer.cargo.target": null,
    "rust-analyzer.trace.server": "verbose"

Also, I am migrating from Atom due to issues with Rust (can't find rust-analyzer unless I disable then enable the plugin on startup...), so I have another rust-analyzer, which is located in my $PATH.

I can't guarantee it's the issue, but rust-analyzer released an update today and some people are saying it broke. could be the same issue.


It works now. I think you must've been right; that problem was resolved an hour or so ago. I also deleted the rust-client lines from my settings.json.

@swpease I recommend turning off "rust-analyzer.trace.server": "verbose" since this just traces the lsp requests which are unnecessarily verbose and just take a bit of performance to log. Instead I recommend truning on

    "rust-analyzer.trace.extension": true,

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.