Void types with type parameters?

Is there a way to express the idea of a void/never/uninhabited type with type parameters (also void) for doing type-level things? Is there a void equivalent of PhantomData? Is it even meaningful?

Maybe:

struct Void<T> {
    _never: !,
    _phantom: PhantomData<T>,
}

?

2 Likes

https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/blob/master/text/1216-bang-type.md

Yeah, that's why I used it in my example :wink:

I guess I'm asking a theory question about whether a type containing ! and some other type is equiv to !. I guess it is because the ! prevents it from ever being instantiated, so the size doesn't matter (ie, it need not be PhantomData).

I still get 4 for mem::size_of::<(!, i32)>(), though who knows, I could see that changing to 0. It may come into effect for enums, like Result<T, !>. If that error type were something larger that happened to contain a !, it will currently still take up space.

If I’m understanding you, I think the answer is no - they’re not equivalent. A type containing ! should not take up space for that field, so it’s like a ZST in that sense. What it does add over existing ZST is ability to cast ! to any other type, including traits (I believe). But I don’t think it makes a type containing ! and other types into a ! as a whole.

Curious what type level use case you have in mind for this?

Curious why you think that should have 0 size?

I'm carrying around a bunch of related types as associated types on a trait and some static methods. It's used as a type parameter on a function, or in a phantom field of a non-void type. I don't care about the type that implements the trait, but for cleanliness it shouldn't ever be instantiated.

I'm in a prototyping stage and it could end up being a mistake, (ie I do need the type to be instantiated - the methods may need self).

In other words, I don't need it to be equiv to ! in the sense of being Bottom.

I think you could reasonably prune away types containing !, much like how LLVM may prune a bunch of code if it leads to something flagged unreachable. (Although type layout should be independent of optimization level.) So if a (!, u32) can never be instantiated, we could give it any size we want -- might as well be zero.

1 Like

In fact I wonder if this layout refactoring will do pruning just like that:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/45225

4 Likes

I was about to say that I would be surprised if there was any code that could possibly benefit from optimizing size_of::<VoidLike>() ...

but I suppose you can waste stack space with it on Debug mode.

enum Void {}
struct DeadBeef<T> {
    _void: Void,
    _value: T,
}

// constant fold THIS!!!
fn sum_of_primes_under(limit: i64) -> i64
{ (2..limit).filter(|&p| (2..p).all(|k| p % k != 0)).sum() }

fn main() {
    if sum_of_primes_under(100) != 1060 {
        // This branch is never entered.
        // The stack overflow actually occurs much earlier, upon entry to main.
        let x: DeadBeef<[i64; 1000000000000]> = unsafe { ::std::mem::uninitialized() };
    }
}
    Finished dev [unoptimized + debuginfo] target(s) in 0.52 secs
     Running `target/debug/playground`

thread 'main' has overflowed its stack
fatal runtime error: stack overflow

P.S. a common notion is that the size of a voidlike type should be −∞. I also remember somebody somewhere mentioning the max-plus algebra which seems to be a nice foundation to build upon. But it's quite a special case to put into the type system for what would appear to be very little gain...

1 Like

Yes! I just tested pr45225 myself, and these all print 0!

println!("{}", std::mem::size_of::< ! >());
    println!("{}", std::mem::size_of::< (!, u32) >());
    println!("{}", std::mem::size_of::< Option<!> >());
    println!("{}", std::mem::size_of::< Option<(!, u32)> >());

edit: @ExpHp your example also works fine on that branch!

4 Likes

Amazing! I need to go high-five @eddyb some more!

I like the mental model that ! actually has size −∞ (since no matter what's in a struct with it, the struct also has size −∞) and that mem::size_of is just saturating.

1 Like

Wow.

That PR covers like half of the optimizations mentioned in the exotic enum layouts issue. I had just assumed that pretty much none of this was ever going to happen.

This is incredible work! :clap:

5 Likes

It wasn't going to happen while we still had all the crufty old backend code around, rotting away very slowly.

LLVM is part of the problem as the way it handles a subset of C types and interactions with them, pointers, etc. is quite idiosyncratic, in self-defeating ways.

For good IR design (within the limits of SSA/CFG), Cretonne is pretty nice to look at, and all future developments should treat it as a first-class citizen (even without a rustc backend for it yet), instead of LLVM, which requires extra ad-hoc heuristics to lower to.

4 Likes

Ah ok, so ! is “infectious” and taints (or saturates as @scottmcm phrased it) everything reachable from it. I don’t think I picked up on that previously.

So what does it do at the type level, going back to @jsgf’s question that I suspect I may have given the wrong answer to.

I think your answer was fine. At the type level, ! and (!, T) are still distinct types, both uninhabited.

1 Like

Amazing! I need to go high-five @eddyb some more!

I like the mental model that ! actually has size −∞ (since no matter what’s in a struct with it, the struct also has size −∞) and that mem::size_of is just saturating.

For the curious, this is known as the max-plus algebra, max-plus semiring, tropical algebra, or tropical semiring.

In this model, the size of a type is calculated for sum types (enums, unions) using ⊕ (a.k.a. max) and for product types (tuples, structs) using ⊗ (a.k.a. plus).

3 Likes

For the original question: I don't suspect that void generic types are anything fantastically more interesting than just the sum of their parts.

• There is an isomorphism between the set of all types and the set of all Void<_> types (with T <=> Void<T>), just like with any generic type.
  • Any monomorphized Void<T> has no values and effectively has size −∞, just like any void type.

maybe once there's higher kinded types there might be fancy shiznitz that rustc could do by treating the higher kinded type Void<_> as a constant function in some limited respects. I dunno. Not a type theorist.

So an associated type that can only be substituted with uninhabited types?

Not quite. An associated type of a trait that's only ever implemented with uninhabited types. The associated types can be inhabited.