Using Threads in an Iron App Effectively

Howdy all!

I’m working on an example web application in iron for a workshop next week. There are plenty of sample APIs around for demo purposes, but I’m trying to break out of that demo mindset and build the app I would if a client were frisbeeing briefcases of cold hard cash for it.

So I’m at a point where I have a mechanism for sending a request on a queue from my iron handler to one of many background workers with a future to complete with the response. Which is great. But out-of-the-box Rust (for good reasons) only gives us OS threads, and while my worker is churning away handling some command, that request thread hyper has spun up isn’t doing anything useful, like handling other requests. It’s just blocked waiting for the future to complete. That starts to make this background worker abstraction kind of pointless.

I can see this not being an issue in a tokio world, where I’d assume other services get CPU time while another is blocked (correct me if I’m wrong). So just because request x is waiting for Postgres doesn’t mean request y has to wait for request x to finish with the handler thread.

So I guess I have three questions:

1. Is it the case when hyper provides a tokio service, and iron provides its pipeline as one too, that a single request won’t need exclusive ownership of a thread for its lifetime?
  2. Is this actually an issue with the current state of the world (hyper + rotor + iron)? I have n handler threads so can handle n concurrent requests (but many more active connections with rotor doing its own io stuff). So should I just treat that handler as the place for doing my work and not waste time with background workers. Connections could easily use something like r2d2 for pooling, so they can be shared across requests.
  3. Am I completely misguided about how this works and need to be schooled?

As a follow-up from my own investigation:

1. Appears to be the case
  2. Depends (as always)
  3. Probably

It also turns out the future is actually pretty close, I’ve got a (very early) hyper + tokio webserver up and running that seems to work quite well. Most of the problems I’ve found were around different pieces of the ecosystem targeting different versions of shared libraries, so once they’re actually released officially it won’t be an issue.

For my sample app I’ll keep going down the tokio road, but for the app we build in the workshop I’ll stick with iron and its niceties.