Usable stable releases?

I migrate from 1.54.0 to more recent stable versions.
As I know in current stable 1.59.0 incremental compilation is broken and disabled.
What about 1.58, incremental compilation works in this release?

Incremental compilation has been slightly broken since it's inception as I understand it. However a couple of releases back a sanity check was added to catch a lot of bugs in incr comp that would result in a miscompilation. This has catched quite a lot of bugs including the one for which 1.59 has incr comp disabled. The fact that this specific bug wasn't found on 1.58 was because a fix for another incr comp bug exposed this bug. Incr comp is not enabled in release mode so bugs in incr comp resulting in broken binaries being released is not something that can happen if that is what you are worried about. I would personally use 1.59 with incr comp disabled. If you really need to you can enable incr comp with RUSTC_FORCE_INCREMENTAL=1 and do cargo clear -p my_crate_name if an incr comp bug results in an internal compiler error.

2 Likes

In 1.54 incremental compilation is broken and not disabled.
In 1.58 incremental compilation is broken and disabled.

Newest versions haven't added new bugs, just old bugs have been discovered. You should upgrade. The older version is worse. If you want to restore the old buggy behavior you have in 1.54 in the latest Rust version, you can set RUSTC_FORCE_INCREMENTAL=1 environment variable.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.