Understanding async executors: futures::local_pool

I'm trying to understand executors and wakers more deeply. I took a look at the single-threaded executor bundled with the futures crate:

My entry point: LocalPool::run https://github.com/rust-lang/futures-rs/blob/master/futures-executor/src/local_pool.rs#L150

I'm wondering if my read of the overall design is correct:

• Executor starts and polls all futures in the pool of tasks (one pass).
  • At the end of a pass of polling futures, if there's still tasks, the executor parks the thread.
  • When a future is ready to make progress, it wakes up the executor by unparking the thread through a waker.
  • Executor makes another pass of all futures in the pool of tasks.
  • When there's no more tasks in the pool, the executor returns.

I want to understand this properly, since I think that in a more sophisticated executor, there might be separate pools of awake and asleep tasks, and only awake tasks are polled.

So please let me know if I have any misconceptions about how executors work!

It sounds about right. Note that in more sophisticated executors such as Tokio, IO is typically implemented by replacing the thread parking with a sleep on an api such as epoll that waits for IO events in a list of IO resources to have any progress, and timers are implemented by putting a timeout on that epoll sleep.

Thanks! epoll is something that I'll be looking into soon.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.