Type alias for generic

Hey all,

I have a struct that holds a seedable RNG, like so:

RngCont<ChaCha8>

I pass it as a parameter to several methods, and I'd like to not have to identify the seedable RNG every time. I'd rather pass around something that aliases this type; naively something like:

type ProgRng = RngCont<ChaCha8>;

And just use ProgRng everywhere. Am I missing something obvious? Should I be using a new type for this?

Thanks for your help.

That alias should work. Remember, you'll have to import it into other modules, just like every other top level item

1 Like

Alternatively, if this is your struct, you can define a default for the type parameter:

struct RngCont<Rng = ChaCha8> { /* ... */ }

If you do this, any code that specifies RngCont without a type parameter is actually referring to RngCont<ChaCha8>.

1 Like

Thanks @2e71828 and @RustyYato for your quick answers; I've marked Rusty as the Solution, but I'm now aware that a default value is possible, which is cool.

I was sure I tried that last night; lesson learned, no more programming after the kids go to bed!

Thanks to you both

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.