Two new Rust books just released! 🎉

Hey there,

I am Stjepan from Manning Publications. Thank you for allowing me to announce that we published two new books on Rust programming last month.

Learn Rust in a Month of Lunches by David MacLeod breaks down the Rust language into concise hands-on lessons designed to be completed in an hour or less. It is written for anyone wanting to get a first glimpse at Rust.

On the other hand, Code Like a Pro in Rust by Brenden Matthews, is written for a bit more advanced Rust programmers. It's a fast-track guide to building and delivering professional quality software in Rust. The book dives deep into memory management, asynchronous programming, and the core Rust skills that make you a Rust pro!

Hope these books bring value to the Rust community worldwide.

Cheers,

8 Likes

That's great.

Quite often we have discussions here about whether Rust is a suitable language to use in introducing programming to those that have never programmed before. Many say it is no and that rank beginners should start out with something easier, like Python or Javascript.

However I suspect that given the simplicity of getting started with Rust, from installation to a running "hello word" it would be quite possible to introduce the art or programming with Rust.

The stumbling block could be that I don't see any Rust books for those who don't even know what a program is yet. The Rust Book is great but I think it assumes readers already have experience in other languages.

I guess I'm thinking of a "Programming with Rust for Dummies" level book. For those who have yet to meet a variable or conditional or loop or function, etc, etc. I'm sure all those concepts can be imparted with Rust as well as they can with Python.

Any plans for such a book?

2 Likes

The closest I've seen to this so far (in a video) is Zero to Mastery in Rust.

Of course, it's not really "mastery." That's just the name of the channel. The video title is Rust 101 Crash Course: Learn Rust (6 HOURS!) + 19 Practice Exercises.

But for a newcomer I think it's good preparation for subsequently tacking The Book.

I'd say it's also good for experienced devs. It's timestamped, so they could skip or fast-forward through some of the earlier segments.

1 Like

Easy Rust is pretty close. And its online.

2 Likes

Ah yes, I remember seeing that early on now. At a glance, looks good. :+1:

I have a maybe controversial believing "easy" languages are not easy itself. Its have great docs written with love to beginners.

I would be nice to find a guy having a clear head and a light (easy to understand) tongue for rust book or rust blog or rust docs. Or to collect somewhere here (beginner`s corner) links to their blogs.

I remember my reading a long explanation in python doc.
~ ~ ~ (explanation ) ~ ~ ~. Cannot understand? Ok. Lets try imagine that way ~ ~ ~ (2-nd way explanation ) ~ ~ ~. Still cannot understand? Ok. Try to read this blog (link) That guy explains it in 3-d way.

Reading MS documentation I sometimes "hear" : "Do not you understand!? Excuse me, man, you cannot be programmer"

Thanks for asking. This book is a successor to David's "Easy Rust" book which is considered to be for entry-level. Someone has already added the link in the comments below.

1 Like