TWiR quote of the week

I guess it's worth mentioning that Reddit's markdown parser is written in Rust, based on comrak, and Reddit is running a bunch of Rust every single page request. By CPU cycles, Reddit has got to be one of the biggest users of Rust there is.

-- brson @ Reddit - Dive into anything

6 Likes

In why const fn:

9 Likes

@mirashii on the community discord:

Think of "it works" when you have UB like this: You've flipped a coin 1 time and it's come up heads and you've concluded it's never tails.

22 Likes

What people do with Rust, specifically, is they tell you that once you "figure out" the borrow checker, it's never a problem again and your code design just automatically "improves" (by what metric?). But that's not really true. The borrow checker definitely hamstrings certain things. It's okay to admit that.

ragnese on reddit

3 Likes

@nitred on Hacker News:

As a Python programmer with limited experience with compiled languages, Rust code was more intimidating to read or look at than C++, Java or Go. After only an hour, I am overwhelmed by the sheer beauty and mature design of this language - it almost reads like Python or as well as any compiled language can. I cannot believe that I am smitten by Rust within an hour. Its features seem, obvious.

11 Likes

From @Yandros , a funny meme challenging your understanding of Rust.
-> Passing self to callback returning future vs lifetimes - #5 by Yandros

15 Likes

The config server is currently the most stable, reliable, well-tested and idempotent part of the entire system! I have not had a single hiccup or performance issue out of Calloop + ZMQ + signals + etc. and 99% of my dev time is on the actual config logic, not event loop stuff.

comment on reddit

6 Likes

Rust favours security over convenience. Rust does not want you to make silly little mistakes than can waste so much of your time debugging, which in the end makes it more convenient.

from @Joe232 on URLO

11 Likes

Maybe:

»Incidentally, this leads to the following also being valid code:

fn foo() -> i32 {
    return return return return return!!!!!!!!!!111;
}

«

from Reddit user PatchMixolydic which cited it from Reddit user pczarn.

16 Likes

Congratulations, you have confused the Discourse Rust parser :laughing: that snippet is highlighted incorrectly.

13 Likes

Well, it's just one space apart from being treated correctly:

fn foo() -> i32 {
    return return return return return !!!!!!!!!!111;
}
2 Likes

Incoming proposal to rename return keyword developers

5 Likes

Why do I use the letter ‘o’ for my generic closure param name? [...] I recently realized that since Rust uses pipes to enclose a param block, using ‘o’ makes the block look like a TIE fighter. I am not a terribly serious person.

-- @MrTact, Polishing Rust

11 Likes

Rust is Fast, Mutable ML with a compiler that gives you grief.

@sycration on Discord

(The rest of the quote is really good too, go read it :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Describing Rust as a systems programming language in 2021 is like describing Microsoft as Windows or Google as search. Yes, Rust is equipped for systems programming, but its applicability is much wider.

Tim McNamara on Twitter

17 Likes

Rust is so easy even neurosurgeons can understand it

/u/baseball2020 on reddit

10 Likes

I'm starting to think of the compiler and borrow checker as training wheels for writing correct code, which I'm trying to end up relying on less and less. While they can definitely feel like a wall, you just have to find the doors.

@PFaas in Rust is too hard to learn

9 Likes

What I have been learning ... was not Rust in particular, but how to write sound software in general, and that in my opinion is the largest asset that the rust community tough me, through the language and tools that you developed.

Under this prism, it was really easy for me to justify the step learning curve that Rust offers: I wanted to learn how to write sound software, writing sound software is really hard , and the Rust compiler is a really good teacher.

This ability to identify unsound code transcends Rust's language, and in my opinion is heavily under-represented in most cost-benefit analysis over learning Rust or not.

@jorgecarleitao, Thank you for the teaching on how to write sound software

15 Likes

Having a fast language is not enough (ASM), and having a language with strong type guarantees neither (Haskell), and having a language with ease of use and portability also neither (Python/Java). Combine all of them together, and you get the best of all these worlds.

Rust is not the best option for any coding philosophy, it’s the option that is currently the best at combining all these philosophies.

/u/CalligrapherMinute77 on reddit

14 Likes

Perhaps this is an oblique reference to RESF?

1 Like