TWiR quote of the week

Think of it like this: When Rust passes control to C it's like you jumping into a pit full of vipers in the hope that none of them bytes you. I might put up a sign "unsafe, vipers in pit".

ZiCog in Does Rust offer C interop? - #4 by ZiCog

6 Likes

We need all that knowledge of what the problem space looks like to evaluate if a simple API is good enough, but we do not necessarily need all that knowledge reflected directly in the API surface.

Ralf Jung on the Safer Transmute RFC

To me this feels like a core insight on effective API design: map out the problem space, survey existing approaches, create a minimal solution. Then iterate from there.

10 Likes

At least let's please keep one single language that doesn't allow the perpetually-reinforced sloppiness.

H2CO3 here:

I was writing some code today and had to pass a closure with an arg I didn't need: |_| .

I thought "That looks kind of like a TIE fighter, we should adopt the habit of calling them that." But then I realized, no, a TIE fighter would be |o| .

Instead, I think it more closely resembles an Imperial shuttle as it is landing. And do you know what class those shuttles are?

Lambda.

George Lucas was truly a visionary... on /r/rust

19 Likes

Like other languages @rustlang does have footguns. The difference is that we keep ours locked up in the unsafe.

Ted Mielczarek on Twitter.

28 Likes

There are no bad programmers, only insufficiently advanced compilers

Esteban Kuber on Twitter

10 Likes

I see a very sharp knife; but this knife is completely and utterly shrouded and encased in tamper-proof, child-proof, thief-proof hardened and sealed plastic shells. Yes shells as in the plural of shell. These shells are even adult-proof too, where the adult is a generic engineer trained generally in other languages only.

Levi Lovelock in hist blog : Rust from a Gopher - Lessons 3 & 4 - LevPaul88's Place

4 Likes

I personally feel that ownership semantics is a handrail on the design space that will guide you to a clear and simple design. If you come from an OOP background, this will feel limiting, but it's not a bug, it's a feature.

-- llogiq @ Reddit - Dive into anything

9 Likes

In a way [Arc and RefCell] are allowing you to escape the single ownership principle, so I don't feel calling them escape hatches is a problem.

Raw pointers on the other hand... they aren't anything like hatches at all. More like the three ghosts of memory unsafety past, present and future, willing to haunt you and your users if you give in...

-- llogiq @ Reddit - Dive into anything

(Sorry for putting up two in rapid succession, but llogiq is being particularly poetic today.)

8 Likes

If other compilers are insufficiently advanced, rustc must be called insufferably advanced.

4 Likes

Macros are not compiler magic. They are compiler science.

-- /u/DannoHung @ Reddit - Dive into anything

8 Likes

When I'm programming, I prefer to do my own swearing. I don't want the compiler telling me "Did you mean $#&@foo instead? (line 56)."

shponglespore on reddit

4 Likes

Hi, I read TWiR 364's QotW, follow the link and see a response (to the quote) that said:

Yeah I keep editing and building until it builds successfully. After that, whatever’s wrong is the compiler’s fault.

-- https://twitter.com/MikeVoydanoff/status/1319514265913421824

I think the quote in TWiR 364 is not (very) good.

1 Like

I'm not sure what you intend to accomplish by saying that here.

People put up proposed quotes here and others like them to vote for them on their own merits. What do replies that weren't proposed for inclusion into TWiR have to do with the suitability of the snippet that was proposed?

If it helps, QOTW isn't specifically quotes about Rust, but quotes the Rust community liked that week. See, for example, QOTW 330, QOTW 312, and QOTW 298.

4 Likes

i just spent 8h finding a mutability bug and now i wanna be a catgirl

By @castle_vanity on Twitter

3 Likes

The code people write is first a question to the compiler, and later a story for people changing that code.

– Esteban Kuber (answering to a discussion of his previous Quote of the Week) on r/rust

4 Likes

I know rustc is famous for its nice error messages, but i was still surprised when i found this in a github issue discussion regarding a performance regression:

I know noting about the compiler internals but it looks to me as if 90% of the time is spent pretty-printing LayoutError.

@pftbest on github

9 Likes

Let’s be clear: We understand that we are net beneficiaries of the exceptional work that others have done to make Rust thrive. AWS didn’t start Rust or make it the success that it is today, but we’d like to contribute to its future success.

Submitted due to this comment. From here.

13 Likes

I've been watching Rust closely, doing some casual learning and lurking. I've been nothing but impressed, with very few exceptions, and where I've had doubts those have been addressed in a thorough and encouraging way. To call me a cynic is to call water wet and bulls mean, so take that for what it's worth.

The community is very notable though. The community has been knowledgeable, understanding, gentle, kind, and thoughtful in their approach. The human things are done in a very human and inviting way, exceptionally so.

This tips the scales for me as far as intellectual investment goes...I now know what language I'm going to be getting to know very well for probably decades to come.

Hello Rust.

From Reddit - Dive into anything

9 Likes

[Jesse] nice things are going smoothly on my end if that makes you feel worse
[Alex] well they were for me as well, until I decided to reduce clones.....
[Jesse] things that rust devs say
[Jesse] things that action stars say in action movies
[Jesse] things that scientists say about sheep

Private conversation about Rust/software development with Jesse Abramowitz

5 Likes