TWiR quote of the week

And it's worth noting that we have fairly extensive docs as well, so it's not an either-or situation.

It's the typical "pick all 3" solution that the Rust team loves to find.

11 Likes

You are correct! In my experience learning Rust, more often than not, the error messages were enough to correct the code and make it compile (well, after lifetimes "clicked" in my head), and then I would go to the docs for those error codes to go deeper into the problem, concepts and different (but equivalent) examples.

The purpose of pin is to have unsafe code in one crate make guarantees to unsafe code in another crate, possibly with non-unsafe code in the middle

by Alice Ryhl in the community Discord server

12 Likes
15 Likes

This one's a bit old, but it relates to my current situation very much:

That’s one of my general complaints with serde: it’s either super convenient and exactly what you want, or it’s a screaming nightmare. There’s no in-between.

- DanielKeep, Catchall variant in Serde

6 Likes

Many thanks for all your answers, I am very pleased to have a chat with you.

@thomas-hugel, after asking a question about green threads and getting nice and informative replies.

I'd like to include the whole quote, but it's two paragraphs. This is the best takeaway, IMHO.

6 Likes

From Did Rust make the right choice about error handling? - #29 by ZiCog

13 Likes

But then again, what isn't hard as a beginner?

1 Like

Brilliant characterization by analogy!

5 Likes

Memoize function without cloning - #2 by red75prime
Most functional languages use garbage collection, so memory management is not a concern there. In Rust we need to do something explicitly.

Explaining why the borrow checker is complaining and how to deal with it.

3 Likes

A concise description of what I find compelling about Rust's approach to correctness.

25 Likes

One problem I've had, in general and not with just Rust, is that people can find a way to do anything with anything. I've seen people do some horrific stuff with their hammers just to prove they don't need a screwdriver.

seen on /r/rust

5 Likes

[SIMD is] the perfect knife edge between awe and expletives.

-- Stephen Merity @ Smerity.com: An introduction to SIMD and ISPC in Rust

4 Likes

That's the way I feel about the borrow checker.

Rust enables belligerent refactoring – making dramatic changes and then working with the compiler to bring the project back to a working state.

So true : https://blog.knoldus.com/some-extensive-projects-working-with-rust/

16 Likes

Can this be the quote of the week, or do we run into weird copyright stuff?

19 Likes

xkcd is under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5, so I assume the question would be whether TWIR wants to incorporate NC-licensed content.

By @alice

20 Likes

Rust was built by a secret society of Haskell developers to teach programmers how to use monads.

From Reddit - Dive into anything

10 Likes