TWiR quote of the week

The original poster probably just meant that learning to program in Rust can seem to be an exercise in masochism.

7 Likes

i never knew the compiler was a furry

@cyber in the community discord

In response to What to say to a C programmer when they say …

5 Likes

@ZiCog: Does anyone have a 'no holds barred, unsafe or not' solution to the problem in Rust that can match C?
@kornel: Pipe the C version through c2rust :slight_smile:
@ZiCog: Yay! Rust now beats both Clang and GCC!

6 Likes

Generic types describe ranges of types, just like types describe ranges of values, and traits are to generic types what properties are to structs. So a new trait actually defines a new type of types, and can be combined with other traits to form a hierarchy of traits.

@mankinskin in Suggestion for making Rust's trait system more usable for generics

1 Like

14 posts were split to a new topic: Traits as types of types

But I know one thing: I certainly wouldn't implement a new version control tool in Python 3 and I would probably choose Rust as an implementation language for most new projects in the systems level space or with an expected shelf life of 10+ years

7 Likes

At a previous job, two of us spent a full week of 8 hour days chasing down a memory error (in a C++ codebase). It took about ~2-5 hours to reproduce the random crash each time, at which point, the traces we got back were so mangled due to memory overwrites, all we could do was add printlns to slowly narrow down the problem. In the end, it was something like a pointer that wasn't nulled out correctly.

With all the times the Rust compiler screamed at me so far, I don't think it has added up anywhere close to 80 hours yet. And that was just one bug.

So either the compiler screams at you, or you end up wanting to scream at each other...
-- /u/minibuster @ Reddit - Dive into anything

11 Likes

from Closure `impl Fn` performance - #2 by OptimisticPeach

I just have to suggest it, since I'd never thought of referring to godbolt as "god".

5 Likes

Is it acceptable to nominate our own quotes? ...because I just stumbled upon a metaphor which I think has a shot at this.

1 Like

Sure. Why not? :sweat_smile: People nominate their own crates.

In that case,

[Three paragraphs of analogy about knife-juggling]

Heck, if anyone wants to try that for a less divisive candidate for Quote of the Week, here's a more quotable formulation:

Programming is like juggling. Memory-unsafe programming is like juggling knives. Proper use of the unsafe keyword is forcing audience members to climb onto the stage in full view of the juggler before they get into range of the knives.
-- /u/ssokolow @ Reddit - Dive into anything

2 Likes

...and another one I just found which is particularly insightful:

I think this is another story about the destructive power of the internet echo chamber, where the asymmetry of one person vs. a mob of people who are in reality probably not all that engaged with the problem but nevertheless have enough engagement to send a nastygram or two creates a distributed denial of decorum attack that no single human being should be expected to deal with "nicely". Our ancient instinctive tribal signals of whether or not you are approved by the tribe, tuned for tribes of 150 people or so, receive a message that 15,000% of the tribe thinks you are a bad person, and our natural human response to that is a lot of stress at best (our ancient instincts tell us that eviction from the tribe is a bad thing , even though in practical terms eviction from this particular tribe won't be much of a problem at all in the modern world).
-- jerf @ The really short answer seems to be: actix was a Rust web framework. It did some... | Hacker News

Especially the term "distributed denial of decorum attack".

(I'll try my hardest to make that my last submission this week. I went from a pre-actix-hullabaloo quote, to something of my own post-actix, to something of someone else's post-actix in such a short period of time, and the two "something of someone else's" ones are so different in what their focus is.)

8 Likes

This reminds me of juggling razor blades in C++ (lock free programming)

1 Like

from @trentj :

18 Likes

Also from @trentj:

4 Likes

u/ericonr on Reddit - Dive into anything

it's kind of insane how automatized pull requests are in Rust.

1 Like

"Rust is basically Haskell's athletic younger brother. Not as intellectual, but still smart and lifts weights."

-- icefox, Jan 22, in Discord chat #games-and-graphics channel

14 Likes

In context, I'm guessing the user intended that as a criticism. I think having criticisms as quote of the week is fine, but this one seems likely to be misinterpreted as praise.

2 Likes