TWiR quote of the week

Just like you, that gave me a weird feeling at first, just as if I was able to swim unharmed among crocodiles.

u/Boiethios in

https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/dzkpcc/fearless_concurrency/f88dsdw?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

3 Likes

C++ has no memory safety. "More memory safety" is like multiplying by zero -- it's still zero.

u/sivadeilra in

https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/dz7is0/prefer_rust_to_cc_for_new_code/f861j5r?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

2 Likes

In that case, here's one from 2008 that I just ran across a few hours ago, which should feel both funny and fitting to anyone who's tried researching how to do signal handling properly in Rust:

In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams mentions an extremely dull planet, inhabited by a bunch of depressed humans and a certain breed of animals with sharp teeth which communicate with the humans by biting them very hard in the thighs. This is strikingly similar to UNIX
-- Linus Åkesson on POSIX signals @ The TTY demystified

4 Likes

I simply can't miss this:

9 Likes

Heard recently creative coding experience which rust gives. What about unconscious coding experience - do whatever you can to make your code compile as late as you can, then go sleep and find your code correct and working in the morning

Woah, I know people say the Rust compiler is slow but I never had a Rust program that took all night to compile :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually the point is it finally compiles, you got there but don't get why as it's too late, but in the morning you find it is all correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know. Just kidding.

2 Likes

...then go sleep and find your code correct and working in the morning

Woah, I know people say the Rust compiler is slow but I never had a Rust program that took all night to compile

i nominate the above exchange between @dunnock and @ZiCog.

8 Likes

About how mod are handled in rust macro : Crate dependency discovery - #4 by boris-kolpackov - compiler - Rust Internals

2 Likes

...with the proviso that the first quote should be extended to make it clear that the second one is a tongue-in-cheek intentional misinterpretation of something that's originally talking about coding while not in full command of your faculties.

6 Likes

When I'm writing in Rust, it feels as though I'm actually able to think about the program, rather than wasting half of my effort going through the necessary rituals to stop the language from having a panic attack.
-- /u/rime-frost @ Reddit - Dive into anything

7 Likes

James Munns:

Hey @rustlang folks, is there a comprehensive writeup/reference anywhere of how the formatting machinery (format!(), write!(), etc.) work? Specifically from an implementation perspective (wrt trait objects, recursion)?

nrc:

It’s dark and ancient magic. I don’t think anyone knows it very well, never mind documentation

grafik

as highlighted in James Munns's blog post James Munns

7 Likes

I kinda wish I could forbid arithmetic operators in my crates.

Monadic Cat, in a conversation about fuzzing

3 Likes

So, I'd say writing Rust without GAT is just like eating scrambled eggs without egg yolk, something is left to be satisfied.

@rui in

3 Likes

Not about Rust directly, but the nice thing around it:

...in Rust there's a contract that if your function is marked as safe, it's must be impossible to misuse it for unsafe things even if you give your API to an infinite number of monkeys with keyboards.

@kornel in

10 Likes

I don't know if this is necessarily a good candidate for quote of the week but the discourse is pretty funny. Here is the thread on HN.

2 Likes

Rust keeps us safe and sound :smiley:

7 Likes

To be clear, you are suggesting:

#[non_exhaustive]
    https://www.rust-lang.org/production/users

right?