TWiR quote of the week

I'm never gonna ask that question again... Oh, and I can't unsee it now, thanks y'all

1 Like

I can't tell which one is which?

From Writing "fluent" code, creating objects with reference to self and lifetime subtyping

9 Likes

From std::marker::PhantomData and unused fields in structs:

10 Likes

Rust and rustaceans being what they are, if you say „performance“ you can expect few crates to pop up.

From: Mental experiments with io_uring | Vorner’s random stuff

2 Likes

I know the closest connection this has to Rust is being in a blog post that's a response to Gankra's "Text Rendering Hates You", but it's just so good:

In my experience, prayers are not a very effective concurrency primitive.
-- Redirect

23 Likes

there are two hard problems in computer science:

1. writing software that isn't in rust
  2. naming things

from https://view.matrix.org/room/!BHcierreUuwCMxVqOf:matrix.org/?anchor=$lmmD3T6f-OTVFqcUo1w-e1hiJQcbFwYBr_8_ezrywnk&highlight

8 Likes

Quite so.

I suspect naming things should be number 1 on the list. Even Rust does not help us with that.

We've previously had QotWs that weren't specifically about Rust, haven't we? I think that's actually a good thing; QotW are quotes the community "likes", which should arguably say more about the community than about Rust the technical project.

3 Likes

If being directly relevant to Rust is not required my quote of the week comes from Russell Anderson in some video about some kind of programming on YouTube I found last night:

I can make software, without knowing, whatever it is that I'm doing.

He was talking about the subtleties of Javascript. It rang true with me as I seem to have spent my life making software with a new language, operating system, application area every two years or so. Now Rust of course. Permanently in a state of not knowing, whatever it is, that I'm doing :slight_smile:

I love rust and javascript, top 2 favorite languages. Rust is very safe. JavaScript is a hot mess. I want my core game engine code safe, and my gameplay code a hot mess.

Bombfuse, on the unofficial Rust discord, on the topic of scripting languages for game engines.

7 Likes

batisteo on Reddit

As a community, we won’t let the borrow checker be more friendly than us!

16 Likes

considering i learned that lesson from writing a bunch of rust code, there may be more of a connection than you think :wink:

2 Likes

In russian if one not sure they would say "да нет наверное" which literally translates "yes no maybe"

1 Like

I both strongly agree and strongly disagree. :slight_smile:

@Ixrec demonstrates traditional Rust trade-off bending skills.

3 Likes

Telling a programmer there's already a library to do X is like telling a songwriter there's already a song about love.

-- PeteCordell #NoDealNoWay (@petecordell) January 29, 2014

Suggested by matthieum on reddit.

22 Likes

The entire OP of Why is TRPL sold in the gift shop at the Spy Museum in Washington, DC? : rust

My friend found several copies of The Rust Programming Language in the gift shop of the International Spy Museum in Washington, DC. According to him, there were no other programming-related books, only the Rust book.

Why?

I must know how this happened. Please help me solve this important mystery.

-- /u/late-rule

6 Likes

I love this reply there:

"Well a Museum purpose is also memory safety, I guess."

23 Likes

In case anyone just wants to know why the gift shop has TRPL, one redditor wrote them an email and got a response:

4 Likes

I said it before, and I'll say it again: If one views Rust as a critique on C++, one should view it as a constructive critique.

6 Likes