TWiR quote of the week

Maybe block chain? I was going to eventually ask.

It would work in my communications protocols certainly. If you are just asking would it work. Any places where you WANT to enforce this strict constraint.

How is it for mathematics I wonder?

Isn't this someway equivalent to asking "Is Map useful?"

on reddit
steveklabnik1 : These things take time, and there’s no promises made about the exact dates.
tomas_skare :There are no promises on rust, only futures...

12 Likes

For the people discussing the merits of functional programming in this quote-voting topic, discourse has a wonderful function: "reply as new topic".
It hides under the post date in the top right ("3h") -> "+ new topic".

Let's try to keep this thread on-topic, and follow-up on the (admittedly cool) tangents elsewhere.

To quote from our very own forum faq:

Keep It Tidy
Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.

https://users.rust-lang.org/faq#keep-tidy

6 Likes

It's amazing what you can make a computer hallucinate these days.

DannoHung from Reddit commenting on the Texture Synthesis crate from Embark Studios.

Maybe a stretch for QotW as the comment absent context is indistinguishable from non-Rust libraries, but I felt this could bring a more attention to a neat Rust project in an entertaining way.

6 Likes

The Rust compiler is basically 30 years of trying to figure out how to teach a computer how to see the things we worry about as C developers.

James Munns (@bitshiftmask) on Twitter

18 Likes

Sometimes a pun arises in the middle of description...

7 Likes

C is about simplicity at any cost. Rust is about simplicity at a pick-your-own-price.

eo5g on r/rust

5 Likes

I don’t like Rust being pigeon holed as a “safer C++”—it’s so much more than that.
t’s been stated more often lately. It overlooks the fact that Rust has actively opened the door to systems programming to people coming from langs like Javascript, where C and C++ never did.

12 Likes

From Is there a simple way to overload functions? - #24 by clintonmead

6 Likes

"Rust compilation is so slow that I can fix the bugs while it still compiles the crates"

24 Likes

Did you say that right now or is it a quote from somewhere?

1 Like

Yes, I said that but you can quote me.

2 Likes

-- Rustafarian three days ago in this thread

19 Likes

-- OptimisticPeach

9 Likes

Another self-nomination:

12 Likes

I particularly liked this interaction between /u/reyqt and @steveklabnik:

/u/reyqt: It will be fine until compiler complain [sic] about your code

@steveklabnik: "describe rust in one sentence"

5 Likes

Rust helped me grasp concepts I should have known when writing C++

-- Microsoft intern Alexander Clarke in this blog post: /blog/2019/10/an-interns-experience-with-rust/

16 Likes

Slightly off-topic, but I've had the experience in the exact opposite direction: having written lots of C++ and having been constantly looking for improvements and patterns that ensure safety, Rust had basically no learning curve for me.

7 Likes

As the intern honestly admits in that blog, most users of high level languages have no idea where the memory is they are using and who else is using it. It's not something they think about until they get the segfaults and corrupt data.

Can't blame them. The whole thrust behind high level languages since forever has been to abstract away all those annoying details. Works fine in Javascript but it's an abstraction too far in the case of C++.

Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction (see what I did there :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I came from C# where I found that low level memory things were kind of swept under the rug and left to the compiler to deal with. These kinds of things interested me so I tried C++. To put it simply, I was not prepared to deal with C++, so I instead switched to Rust, and have found that dealing with the details of low level things can be nice and refreshing little niches, opposite to my experience in C++ and present compared to C# (At least at the time and my understanding of it).

6 Likes