TWiR quote of the week

Ah, then everything makes sense again :slight_smile:
I should have checked to which of my posts you where replying; the discourse layout makes this info available, but not directly so…

I’d like to nominate this quote from “It’s time for a memory safety intervention” by Tony Arcieri

However, programmers utilizing state-of-the-art C tooling and best practices still constantly produce programs riddled with severe memory safety vulnerabilities. For all these tactics they are losing the memory safety war, because even with great tactics you can’t win a war with a bad strategy.

5 Likes

Rust is one of the most common causes of bridge accidents.

4 Likes

Is that a hidden request for a safer FFI?

5 Likes

cupcakes and arguments about the borrow checker? partying doesn’t get much harder than that

@edunham in rust-community

1 Like
<theJPster> I gave my company's Embedded C training course this morning.
<theJPster> It's amazing how much more sense C makes when you explain it in Rust terms.

in #rust-embedded 2017-03-31 14:55

13 Likes

Our language,
Who art on GitHub,
Hallowed be thy git blame.
Thy rewrite come,
Thy will be done,
Online as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our zero-cost abstractions,
And forgive us our allocations,
As we forgive those who allocate unavoidably.
Lead us not into unsafety,
And deliver us from C-vil. Amen

@bstrie at https://github.com/FascinatedBox/lily/issues/294

(With context pointing out the rewrite part is a joke)

6 Likes

Yes, without the context this is just terribly creepy. Be careful before you use that one of mine. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Stroustrup The Wise? I thought not. It’s not a story the ISO C++ Standards Committee would tell you. Darth Stroustrup was a Dark Lord of Bell Labs, so powerful and so wise he could use object-oriented programming to influence managers to adopt languages… He had such a knowledge of template metaprogramming that he could even keep the pointers he cared about from dangling. Template metaprogramming is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was everything being rewritten in Rust, which eventually, of course, it was. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice invented Rust. Ironic. He could keep pointed-to memory alive, but not his language.

Recovered from the /r/rust April Fool’s CSS, author unknown.

21 Likes

It’s from this April Fool’s post.

What is now was that block of text during April Fools.

That post copied it from the CSS as well. The CSS was setup to add the block of text to the end of various comments, if I read it correctly.

1 Like

Yes. It would add things like “Fearless concurrency!”, “Rewrite it in Rust”, and that block of text to the end of things.

That said, I’d be surprised if that was copied from the CSS to a post of its own, rather than the other way around, because I don’t remember seeing it show up at the end of posts until a while after the post was made.

At least I assume that was the direction it went since the post mentioned it being in the CSS.

Do you remember the exact phrasing?

It’s entirely possible I missed that but, depending on the phrasing, it could also have been added after I saw it.

No, not exact phrasing. So it is possible I miss-recall it.

Nobody expects the Rust Evangelism Strike Force!

Our chief weapon is surprise, surprise and fearless concurrency… fearless concurrency and surprise… our two weapons are fearless concurrency and surprise, and ruthless efficiency our three, weapons
are fearless concurrency, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency, and an
almost fanatical devotion to zero-cost abstractions. Our four, no–amongst our weapons… Amongst our weaponry… are, such elements as fearless concurrency, surprise… I’ll come in again.

From kibwen @ https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/63ws8o/rust_go_to_mentioned_in_a_batgirl_comic/dfxyghk/

11 Likes

You know, Rust is the RMS of programming languages: the borrow checker has highly unpopular opinions about your code that inevitably turn out to be 100% correct.

Peter Todd here and on Twitter

18 Likes

Rust doesn’t end unsafety, it just builds a strong, high-visibility fence around it, with warning signs on the one gate to get inside. As opposed to C’s approach, which was to have a sign on the periphery reading “lol good luck”.

Quxxy on r/rust

24 Likes

There are many ways in which Rust is like a version of C/C++ that mutated when Haskell was injected into its veins.

Lokathor on r/rust

10 Likes

the RFC really being four RFCs in a trenchcoat

whitequark on RFC 1847

7 Likes