TWiR quote of the week

I see it as a progression — if some functionality grows too big, it gets its own module. If the module grows too big, its moved into a crate in the same repo and workspace, and if that has life on its own, its moved to a separate repo as a project on its own.

6 Likes

A. Shipilëv via Twitter:

/me is patiently waiting for Reddit and HN threads mocking Java.
"LOL, those Java guys have to disable their GC! They are reinventing Rust!"

2 Likes

Should you write data structures in Rust? If you just want to use them,
get one of those available in std or on crates.io. Otherwise, knock
yourself out; if you don’t, the borrow checker likely will.

-- llogiq

6 Likes

" I really love rust - there are so many constraints from the compiler like its my birthday. "
Multi crate repository vs multiple repositories

1 Like
3 Likes

said here

1 Like

There is not better Rust Evangelism than real C code.

9 Likes

From the "Rust and OOP" thread.

4 Likes
<raynold> ahh it's a wonderful day. rust is the best
<bstrie> raynold: you're halfway to a haiku
<bstrie> day so wonderful / rust programming is the best / it's snowing on mt. fuji
<mbrubeck> fn foo(U) -> T / where T: FromIterator / <Item=U>
<mbrubeck> (`U` is an allusion to the "sUmmer", obviously)
<bstrie> mbrubeck: it's... so beautiful ;_;
6 Likes

In #rustlang, None is always an Option<_>.

llogiq on twitter

3 Likes

Almost...

GC-less safety
Raceless concurrency and
Abstraction in Spring

There's the haiku.

username223 on reddit /r/programmingcirclejerk

Yeah, the API is based on practical concerns. "We're straddling a fence" isn't a practical concern, especially when both sides of the fence are filled with lava :slight_smile:

Manishearth on reddit

3 Likes

from #rust-beginners:

< durka42> rustc deals in absolutes
< durka42> much like Sith lords
< kimundi> durka42: Under that metaphor "unsafe" would be the light side of the force, which just sounds wrong
< durka42> kimundi: yes it can be corrupting if you are not personally disciplined in your use of it
< mbrubeck> safe rust is quicker, easier, more seductive...

8 Likes

An "oldie" that I stumbled over, that hasn't been mentioned yet:

We like to say that Rust enables belligerent refactoring - making
dramatic changes and then working with the compiler to bring your
project back to a working state.

From rust-friend OneSignal, in their blog post Rust at OneSignal

3 Likes
<Kingsquee> rustc --explain 
<Kingsquee> [it opens irc]

#rust

16 Likes

I had many questions during the example implementations but "where do I find that" was none of them. [...] Thanks, docs team, you are doing great work!

(abbreviated for clarity)

Found inside a link in TWiR 172 :

3 Likes

Funny enough, that's one of my main sales pitches, especially in concurrent situations. I run under the assumption that many concurrency bugs are introduced when porting single-threaded code to multithreaded code.

So, I'm sort of staying in a theme with my recent submissions, on the usability of Rust (because I truly believe this message is worth amplifying to the whole wide world);
on the risk of deepening that groove into a rut:

Honestly, that's my experience of Rust in a nutshell. This language
makes so many of the things that used to only be the realm of
experienced C++ programmers accessible to the rest of us - I find that
really exciting!

Joe Clay / SeventeenCupsOfCoffee, in his tutorial "Writing an Audio Plugin in Rust"
(discussion topic here on these forums)

The tutorial illustrates how Rust (together with the vst2 crate) brings a whole new category of artistic expression (making your own audio effects) into the reach of "average" musicians.
There's enough musicians who "dabble" a bit in programming, maybe building their own websites with javascript etc. Most however would shy away from the "real" programming currently needed to make an audio-plugin in C/C++, because that's just too many cans of worms.

Re: sales pitch: Having good documentation is a life-saver for any serious usage!
When I'm evaluating a library for inclusion into our research projects, I always try to browse the docs for a bit, see how deep they dig, if they mention gotcha's, etc.

Re: rest: Sorry, you lost me there; how do concurrency bugs come into play from having good documentation?

It was a reply to the refactoring comment.

1 Like