TWiR quote of the week

As part of this work, I even found two memory safety bugs in the DRM scheduler component that were causing kernel oopses for Alyssa and other developers, so the Rust driver work also benefits other kernel drivers that use this shared code! Meanwhile, I still haven't gotten any reports of kernel oopses due to bugs in the Rust code at all

Asahi Lina

19 Likes

It's not exactly a quote, but I saw one of these trucks the other day and the slogan "Secure Destruction You Can Trust" made me think Rust:

5 Likes

It's very hard to debug something based on a human description. If you were able to explain what's going on perfectly, you probably wouldn't be looking for help. Sharing the code is the best way to communicate about unexpected behavior.

@saethlin on zulip.

10 Likes

Rust changes the paradigm again in a way structured programming did.

Structured programming went from spaghetti code to more organized code.

Rust pushes us from "spaghetti of pointers" to more organized data.

Zde-G on reddit.

11 Likes

I like the quote, but I think it is slightly misleading because rust does in fact not give you a guarantee that a destructor is called.
There is a whole bunch of problems caused by this in the async context for example.

1 Like

As usual, the borrow checker is correct: we are doing memory crimes.

15 Likes

As an expert at being ignorant of what Pin does, I can assert with expertise that other ignorant readers have a hard time with Pin

@grom in Pin tutorial are confusing me

After all, we had April Fools this week :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Error types should be located near to their unit of fallibility.

By Sabrina Jewson.

The post itself is unfortunately not meme-friendly, but I think an in-depth discussion of errors with a readymade proposed solution is worth the people's attention.

7 Likes

I'm not sure whether it's tonally appropriate to push it into people's attention again, but this certainly feels like it succinctly embodies the most significant event of this week:

but Tide and Clorox don't have a community, they have customers. The reason why the Rust mark has any value is that there is a community of people who love using it.

-- Robert Swinford @ Why the Rust Trademark Policy was such a problem... - kimono koans

4 Likes

Hmm,,, what on Earth are Tide and Clorox?

Sure I could google it. But really, I have enough to google every day.

1 Like

Candidates for the best-known brands of laundry detergent and bleach in North America, respectively.

(It's the same "Tide" as in that "don't eat Tide Pods" thing.)

2 Likes

You don't want to see my draft. It's too spicy to ever see the light of day. You have to scream "trans rights" while wearing a crab costume before you're allowed to say "Rust" on a phone call with your mom

– Sage on Reddit

1 Like

Nothing says "we heard your concerns" like a public mocking by the PR representative.

3 Likes

I couldn't really process what that wanted to say (or the context). I see that it's in the same thread where the much loathed trademark policy is discussed. Is it meant to imply a requirement of some sort of explicit political activism in the name of a specific group? If so, that sounds totally unacceptable to me.

*nod* I think it's about as appropriate a QOTW as previous ones that were considered inappropriate for being a little too focused on the negatives of other programming languages.

1 Like

Note: You can click "context" on that comment. It is 100% intended to be a joke. It's in response to Manish, who undoubtedly knows Sage (and vice versa); it's not a mocking at all.

1. It's still easy to misinterpret in divisive ways.
  2. As I've said before...

quotes are, by definition, taken out of context. Thus, regardless of how good it is in context, it's of questionable suitability for a QOTW.

1 Like

Feel free to like other comments? It's not like I'm forcing anyone to vote for it :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I feel like, the way Reddit links posts without visible context by default is causing confusion here. This is the link to the comment with context. (Starting with some deleted post whose contents we can only guess[1].) The quoted response here was 4 comments deep in a joke discussion between Sage and Manishearth.

Click to show quoted full discussion

That being said, I would personally agree that perhaps a (self-described) shitpost is not necessarily the best quote of the week… even more so if it’s heavily contextual

1. or look up on archive sites… ↩︎

4 Likes
  1. procmacroable /ˌprɔkˈmækroʊəbəl/ a. Implementable as a procedural macro.

­(Mara on GitHub)

12 Likes