TWiR quote of the week

BurntSushi is a super experienced programmer who always seems to know what’s right

Shepmaster occasionally pops up to keep things level, and provides definitive answers and edits to all stackoverflow questions

Epage is the ecosystem guy thanklessly maintaining the things that make the magic of cargo possible

Dtolnay is an AI written in rust with the sole purpose of improving rust.

/u/trevg_123 - here

13 Likes

From @PredragGruevski's recent Twitter post:

Diagnostics like [rustc's] are why writing Rust isn't just another "git gud" Dark Souls-style experience.

5 Likes

I like the "as long as...", very nicely worded.

14 Likes

There's a lot of weird debate about whether Rust in the kernel is useful or not... in my experience, it's way more useful than I could've ever imagined!

I went from 1st render to a stable desktop that can run run games, browsers, etc. in about two days of work on my driver (!!!)

All the concurrency bugs just vanish with Rust! Memory gets freed when it needs to be freed! Once you learn to make Rust work with you, I feel like it guides you into writing correct code, even beyond the language's safety promises. It's seriously magic! :sparkles:

There is absolutely no way I wouldn't have run into race conditions, UAFs, memory leaks, and all kinds of badness if I'd been writing this in C.

In Rust? Just some logic bugs and some core memory management issues. Once those were fixed, the rest of the driver just worked!!

-- Asahi Lina on twitter

29 Likes

Crater answers the age-old question: if a change breaks in the forest and no one is around to notice, is it really a breaking change?

No, says crater.

Not posted this week, but I found it quite funny.

-- clarfonthey

18 Likes

I think it's worth noting that the fact that this program fails to compile whereas the analogous Python runs but gives the wrong answer is exactly what Rust's ownership and borrowing system is about.

@kpreid in Capturing a copy of a local variable for a lambda - #5 by kpreid

8 Likes

While helping a friend with some Rust code. They got a sequence of helpful error messages:

Wow, Rust really knows how to make a man feel good about himself.

7 Likes

Y'all low level people live in a wild world

https://old.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/y2qah5/why_does_the_compiler_partially_vectorize_my_code/is4ndfn/

5 Likes

If all the bikeshedding happens once in a rust team somewhere, they can spare all us pain of non-productive discussions.

-- Reddit - Dive into anything

1 Like

Don't take away the fun part :-\

2 Likes

Given that you're a team member, I'm going to push back on this quote as well. Not because bike-shedding is fun per se, but because community involvement is one of the great things about Rust.

The wider community may see problems and solutions a focused team do not, and have use-cases they haven't considered. The more language evolution leans towards fiat-by-team, the more concerned and frustrated I get. And I do feel it's increasing with time.

12 Likes

I don't know where the balance is between language design by one person or small team or design by contributions from a wide user base. C++ has a huge team of contributors, all be it members of the standards committee, which is huge, and see what a huge train wreck of complexity and incomprehensibility that has become.

workingjubilee on The assembly code generated by calling <[T]>::sort_unstable_by contains bounds checking code · Issue #92958 · rust-lang/rust

We're only concerned about producing high-quality garbage as fast as possible.

6 Likes

I present to you a humble limerick:

The language of choice was Rust.
The codebase would need to adjust.
’Cause a problem would come:
“Enum of None, Err, and Some?
A solution just is a must!”

-- MettiGrove @ Reddit - Dive into anything

7 Likes

Also, I don't know how much of this is because Rust is special or because BurntSushi is a national treasure and his CSV library is impeccably constructed and documented.

https://github.com/losvedir/transit-lang-cmp/blob/1b439393e3054bd3b69314c0716cd22e59435f29/README.md?plain=1#L323-L325

10 Likes

100% of Stripe's Ruby codebase, which is the largest single Ruby codebase in the world, is now autoformatted with Rubyfmt. We'll be upstreaming the changes we made soon. I'm very excited.

Rust helped make the fastest and most stable Ruby autoformatter in the world. We are 100% confident we would not have been able to work at the scale of Stripe's Ruby monorepo without the core being in Rust. So thank you @rustlang for making Rubyfmt possible.

1 Like

Now imagine using Rust to run actual server-side code instead of just formatting Ruby with it :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Relevant in light of recent Mara's post:

Nothing about ISO or IEC or its various subcommittees incentivizes progress. It incentivizes endless feedback loops, heavy weighted processes, individual burn out, and low return-on-investment. Do anything – literally anything – else with your time. If you need the ISO sticker because you want ASIL A/B/C/D certification for your language, than by all means: figure out a way to make it work. But keep your core process, your core feedback, your core identity out of ISO. You can standardize existing practices way better than this, and without nearly this much gnashing of teeth and pullback. No matter how politely its structured, the policies of ISO and the way it expects Committees to be structured is a deeply-embedded form of bureaucratic violence against the least of these, its contributors, and you deserve better than this.

source

1 Like

I'm getting more convinced that Rust code is generally going to end up faster than C++ code every day I work on optimizations.

Strong immutability and no-alias guarantees are a game-changer and we've only really begun to scratch the surface of what can be done.

-- Patrick Walton on twitter

9 Likes

Is it too petty to nominate "I am aware of existence of C/C++ but those have old man smell" from /u/oiledupcucumber on What I like about rust : rust :laughing:

5 Likes