[TWiR] Call for Participation

Here are a few from Ockam.

Mentoring is available for any of them, of course.

1 Like

I'm back again with more (hopefully) contributor-friendly issues for Ockam. There's some restructuring and cleanup we'd like to do, and some of it is concrete and actionable enough not to need any familiarity with the code, so I've explained what's would be needed, in case someone is interested.

1 Like

A few more beginner friendly issues this week from the Ockam team ... incase someone is looking to explore something new during the holidays.

1 Like

The diesel project is looking for feedback and additional input on their documentation for the upcoming 2.0 release. See here for details.

1 Like

css-inline is looking for maintainers :slight_smile:

Also, there are a few nice features where I'd be happy to provide support:

1 Like

Diesel looks for help updating their CLI tool to clap 3.0

1 Like

Diesel looks for help adding builtin support for missing json/jsonb operators.

1 Like

Fuchsia's Netstack3 is looking for help...

2 Likes

Unicode ICU4X is looking for someone to lead the implementation of a novel DateTimeFormat API under mentorship from Unicode, Mozilla, Google and Amazon engineers.

Great way to gain experience in contributing to large Rust project through tangible well scoped task with good mentorship and gain experience in internationalization.

Link: Create an Ideal Components Bag for DateTimeFormat · Issue #1317 · unicode-org/icu4x · GitHub

2 Likes

I have labelled some of the issues of my project ribzip2 (a pure rust bzip2 compressor and decompressor) as "good first issues", e.g.

• #1 Automatically use number of virtual CPUs as default for number of threads (easy)
  • #5 Improve CLI ergonomy (easy)

If you want to dig into some more involved topics regarding performance optimization you can choose some of the "help wanted" issues.

Thanks @torfmaster! Do you mind linking to those issues? I will make sure to get it into next week's TWiR (I'm about to publish this week's)

I'd love to:

Thank you!

1 Like

Gonna try to get in the habit of regularly submitting issues from the libs team so the CFP is never empty, though if there are other issues suggested please prioritize them over the libs ones since ours tend to get picked up eventually either way.

1 Like

Here's some more for next week assuming they haven't been claimed by then:

1 Like

I have another newcomer-friendly issue for libribzip2: It is about making the interface compatible to the bzip2 crate. It think requires little knowledge about the internals of library, however it might be an interesting challenge creating a Rust-idiomatic Read and Write interface for the library:

https://github.com/torfmaster/ribzip2/issues/18

If you look for a challenge for creating idiomatic error handling (as opposed to the current panicking happening in the library) you can take a look at https://github.com/torfmaster/ribzip2/issues/12, however you will have to dig into many places inside the decompression implementation.

1 Like

Sort of a call for use cases:

I'm working on an improved tracing event filter layer to hopefully supercede the current tracing-subscriber EnvFilter. If you've ever filtered a stream of tracing events by hand, I want to know what signal you were filtering for (and what noise you were filtering out), so we can help you hopefully automate some of that filtering next time.

1 Like

The pyo3 bindings for algebraics need to be updated to work with modern versions of pyo3:

(Edit: already fixed! Thanks @LegionMammal978)

1 Like

Tauri-apps/tao crate is looking for help fixing global shortcuts on Linux.

[macro_railroad] is a tool to generate syntax diagrams for Rust's macro_rules! syntax. After initialial implementation, it has fallen behind, and is currently unable to parse the 2021 edition $pat_param.

CFP: Make macro_rules! aware of 2021 edition $pat_param, allowing it to parse and display those macro-patterns. The issue with explanation is tracked here.

1 Like

Diesel has released a first release candidate of the upcoming 2.0 release. It is looking for feedback on the release candidate and for help on updating the existing guides to the new release.

1 Like