[TWiR] Call for Participation

I’ve created a number of issues for the Rust port of flamegraph, inferno, and am also happy to shepherd/mentor PRs (we’ve even had some already!). The initial code was also developed through a video series (part 1, part 2), which might be useful for people who want to contribute and really understand how it all fits together.

Tarpaulin/coveralls-api crates need help testing a new coveralls feature to create better reports using your CI environment variables. Looking for people who use things other than travis to help test https://github.com/xd009642/tarpaulin/issues/213

1 Like

Should be pretty beginner-friendly. No knowledge of the compiler necessary. Semi-detailed instructions are available in the issue OP.

There’s an issue on pulldown-cmark to create a simple benchmark framework that guards against quadratic behaviour of the markdown parser. This should be feasible for someone with some Rust experience, yet still be interesting. There are already a number of test cases in the issue tracker and an outline of approaches in the issue description.

This requires adding two features to Cargo.toml and setting the appropriate #[cfg(..)]s, perhaps putting things into a module to simplify things. I can mentor if required.

Three issues in ruma-client-api with difficulties from easy to hard:

The vast majority of Tetra (a 2D game library) is safe Rust, but the OpenGL abstraction layer uses a lot of unsafe, which I have very little confidence in :sweat_smile:

I’ve created a tracking issue to discuss safety - if anyone could pitch in and save me from silly mistakes, it’d be helpful!

Wait… so what have we been using all this time?

Very beginner friendly. I need some test coverage for the futures-jsonrpc crate

Difficulty: Medium

I have something a bit different, I don’t know if it fits here.

I asked a question on StackOverflow: What are the similarities and differences between C++'s concepts and Rust’s traits? I know a lot of people that are really interested in an answer to it. @matthieum already attempted to answer it (which I am very happy about), but they mention that they have not yet worked with concepts " so take this answer with a grain of salt.".

It would be cool to maybe find someone who really knows C++ concepts to answer this question. So I thought that we can maybe add this to TWiR to reach a wider audience? Something like:

Do you know a lot about C++ concepts? Please consider answering this question or improving existing answers (e.g. by pointing out flaws): What are the similarities and differences between C++'s concepts and Rust’s traits?

I will also add a bounty to the question in a few days (before the next TWiR is released).

eazy and tedious, requires building large projects.

This is waiting on someone with a fairly powerful and idle computer doing a comparison of time cargo generate-lockfile with a build of master vers a build with this PR on some large project like servo or like rustc.

Hi, I include a renaming issue:

Solving this issue should require basic familiarity with Rust, no additional knowledge about the Offst project is required.

Hi,
This linear algebra library needs more tests, easy issue if you know linear algebra.
You can see what the functions are supposed to do from netlib.

1 Like

Hello,

We could use a more experienced embedded developer to help us with a problem in the Rubble BLE stack.

Blog post explaining the issue:
https://mckeogh.tech/help-wanted-ble/

Issue itself:

1 Like

Hello

I could use some help with the ConTrie crate. I’ve created two tickets for some of the work that needs to be done, both is writing code that is similar to some other code already in the crate so it should be quite beginner friendly.