Tree structure with nodes implementing trait

Sorry for the vague title, couldn't think of a good way of phrasing it. Basically, I have the following setup:

A trait T implemented for a struct S, and a struct Node, set up in the following way:

trait T{
        fn foo(&self);
    }

struct Node {
        objects: Vec<Box<dyn T>>,
        start: usize,
        end: usize,
        left: Box<dyn T>,
        right: Box<dyn T>
    }

impl T for Node {
        fn foo(&self){
            println!("T implemented for Node");
        }
    }

impl Node{
        fn new(objects: Vec<Box<dyn T>>, start: usize, end: usize)-> Self{
            let l = end-start;
            let (left, right) = match l {
                1 => {
                    (objects[0], objects[0])
                },
                2 => {
                    (objects[0], objects[1])
                },
                _ => {
                    let mid = objects.len()/2;
                    (Box::<Node>::from(Node{objects:objects, start: 0, end: mid, left: objects, right:objects}),
                        Box::<Node>::from(Node{objects:objects, start: mid, end: l, left: objects, right:objects}))
                }
            };
            Node{objects:objects, start:0, end:l, left: left, right:right}
        }
    }

So, the Node struct basically tries to implement a balanced tree, and the most generic type of child of a given node (held in the left and right fields) is Box<dyn T> (for leaf nodes), but will usually be Box<Node>.

Assuming I can guarantee objects always has length at least 1, the issue is in the match expression. The first two cases return (Box<dyn T>, Box<dyn T>) types (or references to them, I'm not worried about that just yet, but the default branch returns (Box<Node>, Box<Node>).

My question is how I can get the compiler to recognise that T is implemented for Node, and so these aren't really distinct types?

At first glance, I would expect that to compile. What errors are you getting?

It's worth noting that Box<Node> and Box<dyn T> are distinct types, but the compiler will implicitly downcast Box<Node> into Box<dyn T> if it knows the type requirements. So it'll usually just work - but sometimes the compiler doesn't know for sure it actually needs a Box<dyn T>, and thus won't perform that downcast.

In this cases, you'll want to explicitly give it the type to cast the boxes to, either with type declarations or explicit casting. Does either of these fix your error?

Declaring the types explicitly:

let (left, right): (Box<dyn T>, Box<dyn T>) = ...

Or casting explicitly:

(
    Box::<Node>::from(Node {
        objects: objects,
        start: 0,
        end: mid,
        left: objects,
        right: objects,
    }) as Box<dyn T>,
    Box::<Node>::from(Node {
        objects: objects,
        start: mid,
        end: l,
        left: objects,
        right: objects,
    }) as Box<dyn T>,
)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.