I’m interested in making rust able to instrument my apps via usdt on Linux.
There is project to do this , I’ve got working demo  utilizing it and that looks extremely useful.
Currently it works as a macro, and has some annoying limitations:
- It doesn’t understand argument types (I believe macros can’t do that).
- It uses asm! to insert probes, and that doesn’t work on stable.
I’d like to push this forward and I’d like to get some input of how I should proceed:
- Are there any plans to stabilize asm, so that I could get it working on stable
(I have no intention of using nightly in production)?
- I believe argument types can be retrieved if it was compiler plugin. Am I right?
- Would there be an interest in making it a language feature? I believe it would be extremely useful,
relatively easy to achieve, and once done, not require much maintenance.