Timeout for Accept in Unix Domain Sockets

I have a piece of code that binds to a Unix Domain Socket and accepts connections.
This code works and prints the Bind successful message and if there are connections from a client does process it .

Is there a way to time out in the accept ? The server listens to a socket path while the clients attempts to connect to a different socket path . I would like to have a timeout in the server and handle the case of not receiving a connection after X seconds .

The timeouts in the UDS seems to be for the read / write and not for the accept . Any help will be appreciated .

let mut listener_res =  UnixListener::bind(&socket);
        if listener_res.is_err() {
            // Socket is being used by somebody else 
        }
        match listener_res {
            Ok(listener)=>{
                info!("Bind successful{}!",socket.display());

match listener.accept().await {  // I need a timeout here 
                	Ok(listener)=>{
                	       // Process this code
                	} 
                	Err => {
                		// Error on socket 
                	}
                }
           }
        }

The usual route to this would be to wrap listener.accept() with your runtime's timeout functionality.

Along the lines of

match timeout(Duration::from_secs(30), listener.accept()).await {
    Ok(Ok(listener)) => { /* process listener */ }
    Ok(Err(sock_err)) => { /* socket error */ }
    Err(elapsed) => { /* timeout */ }
}
1 Like

I would expect for just standard with blocking; make thread do a fake connection.
I think you can set listener to non blocking and call pselect in libc - Rust before any accept, not looked into what it would entail.
Also maybe something in nix crate.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.