This Month in Rust OSDev

Hi folks - we've started a new newsletter for highlighting updates in the Rust operating system development world! This is our first post, for April 2020.

This Month in Rust OSDev (April 2020)

14 Likes

Hi folks, we've just published our second post, this time about updates from May.

This Month in Rust OSDev (May 2020)

This month, a lot of work was put into fixing a tool we maintain, cargo-xbuild, to fix builds that had been broken by recent changes to LTO (link-time optimization). Major changes were also landed to bootimage to make it more maintainable, as well as changes to a number of personal and community projects our members maintain.

If there's any content you'd like to see in the next edition, please feel free to drop a pull request off for the next post!

3 Likes

Hi everyone - the July 2020 edition of This Month in Rust OSDev is out, and can be found here:

This Month in Rust OSDev (July 2020)

Lots of work happened across the ecosystem this month, including significant work on my acpi and aml crates, some progress on the UEFI bootloader, and also many support crates.

I've also realised I forgot to post to link to June's post - sorry about that. It can be found here:

This Month in Rust OSDev (June 2020)

2 Likes

August 2020

Reddit thread:

September 2020

Reddit thread:

October 2020

Reddit thread:

1 Like

November 2020

Reddit thread:

1 Like

December 2020

Reddit thread:

3 Likes

January 2021

Hi folks - first edition of the new year from us! Lots of our projects only received small updates this month, but the bootloader has made good progress on its UEFI support, and Phil talks more about plans for a third edition of his blog.

This is also the first month featuring a 'Showcase' section, where we'll talk in more detail about a project in the Rust OSDev sphere - this first one is about stlankes' RustyHermit unikernel. See the link in the post to read it!

Reddit thread:

February 2021

Reddit thread:

March 2021

Lots of progress on my acpi and aml crates this month, as well as some exiting work on bootloader and some other crates. We've also launched a 'Call for Participation' section a la This Week in Rust; have a look if you're interested in getting involved!

Reddit thread:

April 2021

Reddit thread:

May 2021

Reddit thread:

1 Like

June 2021

Reddit thread:

July 2021

Reddit thread:

August 2021

Reddit thread: