This "==" and "!=" is have different behaviours?

I happened to be writing a code with a while loop, the question is why when I replace != 10 with == 10, the output doesn't display the printed text that should be there.

fn main(){
    let mut s = 1;
// This is using ==
    while s == 10 {
        println!("s: {s}");
        s +=1;
    }
}

Output :

Compiling variables v0.1.0 (/home/qoori/Documents/Rust/variables)
    Finished dev [unoptimized + debuginfo] target(s) in 0.36s
     Running `target/debug/variables`
 *  Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it. 

Changed to != 10

while s != 10 

Output:

s: 2
s: 3
s: 4
s: 5
s: 6
s: 7
s: 8
s: 9

the while loop continue if the condition is true

2 Likes

!= means not equal , == means equal , they do have different behaviours

3 Likes

When the condition of you while loop s == 10 is evaluated, s equals 1. The condition returns false, because 1 does not equal 10. When the condition of a while loop is evaluated as false, the loop is exited. The condition is evaluated before the loop body is executed, which is why you don't see a single print statement from that loop. From the docs:

The while expression runs the conditional expression before running the loop body, then runs the loop body if the conditional expression evaluates to true, or exits the loop otherwise.

The != (not equal) operator checks whether s does not equal 10. It basically has the opposite behaviour of ==, returning false where == returns true and true where == returns false[1]. As s equals 1 when you enter the while loop and s != 10 is evaluated, s = 1 does not equal 10. s != 10 evaluates as true, so you enter the loop body, where you increment s to 2. 2 still doesn't equal 10, so when s != 10 is evaluated before the second iteration of your while loop, it still returns true. So you enter the loop body again. This goes on till s equals 10 and s != 10 returns false. Then the loop has finished and your program continues.

1. For (almost all?) types. Theoretically you can change the behaviour of the != operator for a type by implementing the PartialEq::ne method for it, changing the default behaviour I described above. ↩ī¸Ž

7 Likes

Why would you expect != and == to do the same thing?

To me, the questions reads like "why do 5+10 and 5*10 give different answers?", to which the only answer is "well they're different things so that's usually the case"...

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. We invite you to open a new topic if you have further questions or comments.